Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just wondering if any of you have any imput on this?

Mauy Tai and Kickboxing isnt one I have researched to much.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the U.S. you very rarely see elbows to the head allowed in competition which is a staple move in Thailand.

Also the spiritual opening ceremony or dance that is an essential part of competition in Thailand is often omitted in the U.S.

There are notable North American exceptions to both of these differences but those are a couple places where paths diverge.

Also a lot of Thai kickboxing competitors in N. & S. America and Europe(Holland a notable exception) came to Muy Thai after learning another discipline so you will see more side, axe, and spinning kicks than in Thailand.

Plus Thai fighters train twice a day, six days a week and literally live in their training camp from about 5 or six years old so their proficiency is exceptional.

The Authorita
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than tradition.......several thousand miles. Okay lock the thread....it's over now.

shabz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not from the USA but in the UK (and guess the USA)there's not much difference except for Thai's its a way of living and for us its more of a hobby. (before someone says about it being a hobbyand not a living , i was talking about the majority.) and like punchdrunk says you dont see as much full thai rules fights as alot of us have work to go to on monday morning!!

WhiteShark
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shidokan, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about the US at least at amateur levels is too much intensity in the first round! In a real traditional Thai fight each round gets more intense and the fighters feel each other out in the early rounds, some say this is just to drive up betting odds. But I think it also has to do with less deciplined fighters in the US amateur ranks. Also most US schools/fighters talk constantly about what a powerful hard art it is so they rarely try to finese thing in the ring.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input....

From my research just like Tae Kwon Do to the Korea's, Mauy Thai is a way of life or their past time. They say Americas sport is Baseball. Well Thailand is very serious about Mauy Thai. I pretty sure Koreas National Sport is Tae Kwon Do.

Classic Mauy Thai has a lot more elbows and knees in it and has more ceremonial items to it. Most American versions do not have as many knees and elbows (at least not for sparring) and usually it doesnt have very much ceremonial purposes. Also it sometimes is used more for fittness in the US than in Thailand. Feel free to point out more differences.

muaythaidm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that in Thailand there are a lot less leg kicks thrown. The reason for this is because they want to stay healthy because they fight so often. It would be hard to fight with a broken shin bone.

I have never had the chance to go to THailand and watch some fights but I will eventually.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to travel to thailand someday. If i ever go then maybe I will see a match.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Mauy thai figher when I was at uni. And he was challenging people in the crowd. It was really messy. I went there with people from my Aikido club, however Aikido does not teach you to be stupid enough to step into the ring with a mauy Thai fighter. lol.

Take Care

TeamHavok
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differances are simple: BRUTALITY

Having Been to Thailand on many occasions....I can tell u this.

People in Thailand view Muay Thai like us americans view NFL Football. They train 2-3x daily, and they do live in their training centers. The average Proffessional fighter is 14-15 years old, and beacuse of the brutality....is over by the time they are 20.

Head butts, Knees to face, elbows to face are all legal and commen blows in Thailand. None of these are allowed in USA Thaiboxing.

Muay Thai is an amazing spetacle to watch....only in Thailand though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: