Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
Being aware of the situation around you is #1.

Personally, I'd forget all about the actual self-defense moves because not one of the partici[pants will remember them a few weeks after the seminar, let alone be able to do them.

A friend of mine, Jerry Lemm, taught a 2 hour womens self-defense seminat which was GREAT! He spent the entire 2 hours talking about awareness and things that can make a woman a potential victim, such as vanity plates like "I M A QT", "HOT BABE" or MARY'S CAR". These are cool, but obviously label your car as a womans and can make you a target.

Other things Jerry taught was to take all that female "foo-foo" stuff off you rear view mirror that identifies your car as a womans.

It's better to have "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" bumper stickers than "Mary Kay Representative" on the back of the car.

Great points, I admonish my girlfriend for stuff like that all the time.

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A friend of mine, Jerry Lemm, taught a 2 hour womens self-defense seminat which was GREAT! He spent the entire 2 hours talking about awareness and things that can make a woman a potential victim, such as vanity plates like "I M A QT", "HOT BABE" or MARY'S CAR". These are cool, but obviously label your car as a womans and can make you a target.

Other things Jerry taught was to take all that female "foo-foo" stuff off you rear view mirror that identifies your car as a womans.

Great point and something I don't cover now. Thank you!
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that most violence against women is perpetrated by husbands, boyfriends and family members. Hook them up with information about victims advocacy groups and shelters for abused women in your area. If they or someone they know is a victim of domestic violence, they need to be aware of organizations that will help them.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Also note that most violence against women is perpetrated by husbands, boyfriends and family members. Hook them up with information about victims advocacy groups and shelters for abused women in your area. If they or someone they know is a victim of domestic violence, they need to be aware of organizations that will help them.

I like to send them home deathly afraid of two things: Significant others and box vans.

dragonwarrior_keltyr
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's better to have "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" bumper stickers than "Mary Kay Representative" on the back of the car.

I actually find this offensive. Why must we as women stifle our creativity or desires about what we have in our cars etc, just to avoid "the evil man." This pattern of thought - that we must subdue ourselves to avoid becoming victims - is wrong and (I would add) induces into women (and men) an attitude of subservience. I understand that women are targeted based upon our gender, and that unfortunately we must be more aware of our surroundings than men, but I refuse to treat myself like a victim. Now, I'm a tomboy, but if I want to wear a slinky shirt, I am going to wear it. To say clothing, or something in our cars "makes us victims," is closely related to victim blaming. You are basically saying that because a women has female "foo-foo" in her car, she is asking to be targeted. That is wrong and very offensive. Women should be aware yes, because it is an unfortunate statistic that more attacks happen to women by men, but that does not mean women are to blame. You are stating with your wording that "feminine" (and I use the word loosely) things equal victims' things. That is not the case.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonwarrior_keltyr wrote:
Quote:

I actually find this offensive. Why must we as women stifle our creativity or desires about what we have in our cars etc, just to avoid "the evil man." This pattern of thought - that we must subdue ourselves to avoid becoming victims - is wrong and (I would add) induces into women (and men) an attitude of subservience. I understand that women are targeted based upon our gender, and that unfortunately we must be more aware of our surroundings than men, but I refuse to treat myself like a victim. Now, I'm a tomboy, but if I want to wear a slinky shirt, I am going to wear it. To say clothing, or something in our cars "makes us victims," is closely related to victim blaming. You are basically saying that because a women has female "foo-foo" in her car, she is asking to be targeted. That is wrong and very offensive. Women should be aware yes, because it is an unfortunate statistic that more attacks happen to women by men, but that does not mean women are to blame. You are stating with your wording that "feminine" (and I use the word loosely) things equal victims' things. That is not the case.

If I were looking for someone to rape, I wouldn't be hanging around the car with the NRA stickers on it. This isn't about blame, it's about thinking from the mindset of a predator and trying to learn to be safer. It is not "wrong" to leave your front door unlocked while you sleep, but it's not smart either.

dragonwarrior_keltyr
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
dragonwarrior_keltyr wrote:
Quote:

If I were looking for someone to rape, I wouldn't be hanging around the car with the NRA stickers on it. This isn't about blame, it's about thinking from the mindset of a predator and trying to learn to be safer. It is not "wrong" to leave your front door unlocked while you sleep, but it's not smart either.

Leaving the front door open and a bumper sticker are entirely different ball games. One is common sense - protecting your home. The other is a matter of aesthetics.

I have worked with people who've suffered from abuse as well as being a survivor myself and I can guarantee you two things one, the people who rape are not strangers and two, it doesn't matter what a person is/isn't wearing or what type ornaments they have on /in their cars - those things are inconsequential in the mind of a sexual predictor.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, you're right. They usually are not strangers, but those things can and do happen as well.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, criminals do not honor what the world SHOULD be like. You are not entitled to a fair world; the world doesn't operate on fairness. You are not entitled to a just world. The world is not just.

You have to live with the consequences of your actions.

Some of those "actions" include things like "I was born as a small female." You didn't ask for that you had no choice in that action, but it still has consequences. Many people will try to make things more fair, but that isn't because the world is fair, it's because they are being charitable. Not everyone is charitable like that.

Another action is "I put girly froofy stuff on my car to advertise the fact that i'm a small female who is a great target". That has consequences; someone who does not care about how "fair" the world is can see it and decide that you would be a great target. They could take actions like tracking you down based on your car, cornering you somewhere, and attacking you with their severe size advantage. While that might (might!) have consequences for them, those consequences will not heal whatever damage they do to you first.

"It's easier to protest women in fur coats than bikers in leather jackets".

Criminals don't want a fair fight. They want an easy victim. They just want to punch a clock and get their abuse fix without making it a big fight that they could be days recovering from.

Women are typically shorter, less muscular, lighter than men, so if you have to chose an easy target, you go after the one in the dress. Women often are psychologically unable to even attempt to fight back, so they're a very juicy target. Men are conditioned to see fighting as a positive thing, in various ways. Not an easy target.

So, dragonwarrior_keltyr, I propose this as homework:
Go out and wander around your daily routine for the next week, maybe altering it a bit, and for each day, plot how to beat someone into a bloody pulp in some fashion without any likely immediate consequences and without getting hurt yourself. Not hypothetical people, I mean actual real people that you see on your daily routine. Remember, you'll need time to do the deed, and you'll need to get away, and you need to actually be able to accomplish it without the tables being turned, so take that into account.

Then come back here and describe the people you saw, why you chose them, exactly how you would set the encounter up, how you would victimize them, and how you'll get clear.

Don't use your family. Not because that's unfair or anything, but because if I started writing up homework on this, everyone in my house would be first to go. (Why do you think that's where the highest risk is?)

Then you can start thinking of ways to not be caught in those situations.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The political climate of my place of residence is such that I do not endorse candidates on my car. I believe firmly in the 1st amendment, but I also like not having my car vandalized. It's not right, but it's true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: