Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: What is important in a Woman's Self Defense siminar? Reply with quote

I have a woman's self defense seminar to teach at the end of the month. I have a curriculum I've been working with for a while now. I don't want to influence your comments so I'll keep the content to myself. However, I'd like to hear from you guys what you think is important to include.

Maybe I'll refresh my curriculum a bit.

Thanks!
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is important in a Woman's Self Defense siminar? Reply with quote

You'd be covering a lot if you went over defense from a standing grab. Whether it be choke, headlock, grabbing the wrist or anything else you can think of. Muggers like to feel dominant in situations against women, what better way to do that than grabbing them?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What is important in a Woman's Self Defense siminar? Reply with quote

MaxMarks wrote:
I have a woman's self defense seminar to teach at the end of the month. I have a curriculum I've been working with for a while now. I don't want to influence your comments so I'll keep the content to myself. However, I'd like to hear from you guys what you think is important to include.

Maybe I'll refresh my curriculum a bit.

Thanks!

I suspect that everyone is going to tell you to include everything you can about situational awareness and limiting exposure to risky environments, and I would totally agree with them! That is probably the most important stuff to teach! As far as actual techniques go, I would say you need to teach some simple, gross-motor-movement techniques against all kinds of grabs--wrist grabs, hand trapping, front chokes, fireman's carry, rear bear hug, etc.--as well as some takedown defense and how to defend against an attacker between your legs or on top of you when you are on the ground. Those tend to be the most common attacks that women are going to be on the receiving end of on the street. Basic blocking wouldn't hurt, though, since a frustrated attacker may well start backfisting and punching to get a victim under control.

It does depend on how your seminar is scheduled, though, I believe. If you only have an hour or two, you are going to need to focus on the most critical, life-or-death type of situations. If you have all day or a several day curriculum then you can go through a lot more.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander is correct, awareness is the most important thing that anyone can do to keep themselves out of a dangerous situation.

Women's self defense classes need to focus on awareness of all situations that may be presented, techniques are nice and all, but situational awarness will keep a person out of trouble more than anything.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach them to think like a criminal and how they will size things up, then have them wander around the neighborhood casing people and places up for rapes and burglaries and muggings and crimes of opportunity.
Teach them a few cheap and easy ways to alarm their house and person.
Teach them to run TOWARD people instead of just running away from threats.
Teach them the advantages and disadvantages of various self defense equipment people carry.
Teach them to savagely kill anyone who tries to move them to a secondary location. (You don't need to teach how to actually kill, just that that is the most gentle and meek level of response that they can have to such a situation, and that if they had access to WMDs, that would be an appropriate time to use them.)

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with situational awareness 110%. Statistics are a good wake-up for a lot of them. Teaching them a little bit of paranoia and a whole lot of assertiveness are the next building blocks in my opinion.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, awareness is something that as a martial artist I take for granted because it's second nature. I forget that it was something that I had to learn and train.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
I'll agree with situational awareness 110%. Statistics are a good wake-up for a lot of them. Teaching them a little bit of paranoia and a whole lot of assertiveness are the next building blocks in my opinion.

I agree here. When it comes to teaching techniques, I think keeping releases and whatnot fairly basic, and making sure to incorporate lots of striking into the releases. Lots and LOTS of striking. If you plan on having them use some kind of weapon, like car keys or something similar at hand, work on getting those things handy, or even get used to just carrying them when walking in parking lots and the like.

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts! If anyone else has something to add I'd love to hear it.
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being aware of the situation around you is #1.

Personally, I'd forget all about the actual self-defense moves because not one of the partici[pants will remember them a few weeks after the seminar, let alone be able to do them.

A friend of mine, Jerry Lemm, taught a 2 hour womens self-defense seminat which was GREAT! He spent the entire 2 hours talking about awareness and things that can make a woman a potential victim, such as vanity plates like "I M A QT", "HOT BABE" or MARY'S CAR". These are cool, but obviously label your car as a womans and can make you a target.

Other things Jerry taught was to take all that female "foo-foo" stuff off you rear view mirror that identifies your car as a womans.

It's better to have "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" bumper stickers than "Mary Kay Representative" on the back of the car.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: