Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you seperate mind, body and spirit? I submit that you cannot. Have you ever gotten off the couch to get a beer with out your body being directed to do so without by your mind? How about getting the beer with your mind and not your body? I don't think so. Unless you are the undead, I am fairly certain that your life force was involved, ie your Ki.

So lifting weights is not a mental exercise because you think about it, and reading a book is "physical activity"? Come on.

Quote:
As for being afraid. Lets say your walk up on a rattle snake without noticing it. It rattles, adrenaline kicks in and you jump away from it. Was that fear? Would a fearless person stand there and get bit? Hell no! That would just be stupid! The guy that jumped out of the way was being smart, not fearful.

It was neither smart nor fearful, it was suprised. That's an illustration of reflex acting before the pre-frontal cortex (the part of the brain which overrides unconsious thought with consious thought) kicked in. It can be retrained.

That siad, it's more an application of anxiety than fear. You are obviously not very familiar with how these things (in this case, the brain) works; please stop posting rubbish.

Quote:
Charisma is an application of life force if you are alive. If you choose your course of action based on fear of what someone may do or think, if someone else "makes you angry," sad or depressed(you didn't choose to purposefully display those emotions) then you have allowed someone else's life force to dominate your's. If other people dominate you and dictate your course of action and feelings then your are practicing weak Ki.

What? Now you are discussing social nuances and ascribing them a Ki? You've dominated your dog's ki when you yell it it? It's dominated yours when it growls at you? This is absurd.

Quote:
Don't even think about blowing someone's head off with a Ki ball cauz you don't have what it takes.

No one does outside of cartoons.

Dude, your doing far more harm than good; and you really have no idea what you are talking about (or are trolling)

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Judo, Ninpo, looking for something new

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you know what Ki isn't. You asked the question, "what is Ki." Have you figured it out yet?
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that post is a terrific example of what I'm talking about. I did not ask the question, and your claim that I did is (like much of what you have stated on this thread) erronious.

Further, one would not need to have a through understanding of a quantum superstring to realizeit's not a fruit drink.... similarly, anyone with any inkling of an underastading of Ki could point out the errors in your posts.

It's people like you who make big posts attributing anything and everything to Ki that make in nigh-impossable for people seeking accurate information, or even credulious information on the subject.

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Ki ? Reply with quote

JohnnyS wrote:
Everyone seems to have a different definition, from having your body in alignment to near-magical powers. This is a quote I got from somewhere:

***The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment ***

which seems to illustrate my point.

So, what is it and what does it do ?

If I say Ki is a powerful mystical force, you say that it isn't.

If I say that Ki is a common ordinary part of life, you say it isn't.

It kinda sounds like you are asking what Ki is... What are you trying to say about Ki?
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Kaju_influenced
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo, ChoyLeeFutGungFu, Capoeira

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look at it this way. If Ki is life force then anything you do, in life, is an application of Ki. This includes getting up from a chair or throwing a punch. True that physics are involved when you do these things.

Verry true well said my friend

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry is correct in saying that all these different people's answers only confuse the issue.

I'm still no clearer on what it is though. What is it , and how can it be proven to exist ?

If it can't be proven, then it seems it is more a faith (superstitious) thing than anything else.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I say Ki is a powerful mystical force, you say that it isn't.

If I say that Ki is a common ordinary part of life, you say it isn't.

It kinda sounds like you are asking what Ki is... What are you trying to say about Ki?

To whom are you addressing this? I have not asked what ki is, and JohnnyS has not disputed the answer.

And Ki is common and normal.. juet like muscular action or mental activity. That said, getting out of a chair is a chi activity about as much as it's a mental activity.... your brain is involved, but it's hardly a good illustration or accurate representation of "brain power" or "a mental exercise".

But again, are you talking to me or to JohnnyS?

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still no clearer on what it is though. What is it , and how can it be proven to exist ?
My test, and it will take some effort for others to repeat (IOW they will have to do what I did).

I put in the effort (over the course of a 4-day seminat, not a great deal of time) to learn basic qigong no-contact healing.

I went out and conscripted some "voulenteers".

I didn't tell them really what I was doing, nor what to expect. I did not ask them about how they were feeling before hand.

I did a "scan", to feel out their energy and made a not of what I felt... where I felt problems and what I thought they were (if I could guess). Then I did a healing (no contact, and behind their back). I made a note of what I thought I had fixed and what I thought I had not.

Then I asked "What, if anythign did you feel. How did you feel before, how do you feel now". Here's my results.

I generally located spots that represented problems for them, occasionally I missed something that bothered them. They usually felt the work I was doing, down to the ability to tell me where they felt it and that corresponding to where I was working. If I felt I had fixed something, they almost all felt an improvement there, though many felt improvements in things I had failed to fix.

More importantly, I had no instances of false finds; In about a dozen voulenteers I never found something that was not there... I also had no false reports of work; I never had someone claim to feel an effect in a place I was not working (though it was not uncommon to fail to feel where I was working).

Through this double-blind experiment, performed about a dozen times, I proved that it was not simply psycosematic and that a real event was occuring.

Having had my base skepticism overcome (the qi does exist / work), I have since been able to better work on other aspects that had been hard for lack of proof.

Now if I can just get on a reasonable work schedule; I've been missing most of my martial-arts time this past year
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: