Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
To me, art is expression.

I truly agree, to me the art is the personal expression beyond merely learning to perform a technique. To learn a new kata or kihon is to me - comparing it to music - to practice a new scale.

This practice turns into art once I feel confident enough to start writing new songs using the new scale or confident enough to improvise - eventually even with my eyes closed - using that new scale.

When the physical expression of internalised technical knowledge is so refined - or "pure" - that it has the ability to effect another human being on a deeper, emotional level, that is when form has become art to me.

I understand the thoughts behind expression in Martial Arts, and I think it truly is the basis of "art," and when most practitioners talk about their "expression" of the art, the most common form of expression tends to be the use of forms or katas. I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
To me, art is expression.

I truly agree, to me the art is the personal expression beyond merely learning to perform a technique. To learn a new kata or kihon is to me - comparing it to music - to practice a new scale.

This practice turns into art once I feel confident enough to start writing new songs using the new scale or confident enough to improvise - eventually even with my eyes closed - using that new scale.

When the physical expression of internalised technical knowledge is so refined - or "pure" - that it has the ability to effect another human being on a deeper, emotional level, that is when form has become art to me.

I understand the thoughts behind expression in Martial Arts, and I think it truly is the basis of "art," and when most practitioners talk about their "expression" of the art, the most common form of expression tends to be the use of forms or katas. I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

I believe I touched on those ideas!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Last edited by singularity6 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I would add, however, to look even deeper than that, into the expression one can find in something like sparring, or rolling, or bag work, or breaking, or any of the myriad facets of training. There is so much to explore.

Yes indeed! A starry sky waiting to be explored...

Not a day without a kata

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a Man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: