Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: What is the 'art' of Martial Arts to you? Reply with quote

I’ve heard people discuss what they think is the art part of MA, but I haven’t heard much depth to the reasons why. I started responding to a post in another thread, but I figured it would make a good thread on its own.

I look at the art part of MA as the interpretation of what’s being done. The easiest way I can describe this is kata. We have these relatively standardized patterns of movement without a partner. I look at and perform those movements, and I see, think and feel one thing. I have my interpretations of the meanings of the movements. Someone else does the same kata and there’s an entirely different interpretation. Note I’m not talking about how it looks, I’m talking about what those same movements mean. Then there’s the same person interpreting it different ways in order to fit the exact circumstance they’re facing at that moment.

Kata is the easiest way to convey it to me. Even the most basic things - blocks, punches, kicks, even the hand coming back to chamber can all be interpreted and functionally applied differently. It’s an art because there’s no one right answer, such as in science and math.

Much like looking at the Mona Lisa, everyone who sees it will interpret it differently. Some will interpret it better, or better yet, more deeply than others, but not interpretation is outright wrong, except maybe for the really far out interpretations like it was painted by aliens or something.

Last edited by JR 137 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent OP, JR!!

Most particularly was this...

Quote:
I look at the art part of MA as the interpretation of what’s being done.

This speaks in volumes to me, as did your entire OP, but how often does the practitioner understand their Art, and the concepts of it?!

Without me going into a drawn out thesis about Kata and/or Art, I like what Bruce Lee said...

“Don't think. Feel. It is like a finger pointing out to the Moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”

Are your, whomever this might be, trees getting in the way of your forest, and vice versa?!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Excellent OP, JR!!

Most particularly was this...

Quote:
I look at the art part of MA as the interpretation of what’s being done.

This speaks in volumes to me, as did your entire OP, but how often does the practitioner understand their Art, and the concepts of it?!

Without me going into a drawn out thesis about Kata and/or Art, I like what Bruce Lee said...

“Don't think. Feel. It is like a finger pointing out to the Moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”

Are your, whomever this might be, trees getting in the way of your forest, and vice versa?!

By all means, please go into a thesis. I really like your thesises (spelling?).

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that your post is excellent and right on the money. Kaicho Amor, the head of URKA, continuously tells us (the Yudansha) that he is not teaching us technique or what to do. What he is teaching us is a way of life. This is the art. Kata can be interpreted a thousand different ways and there are a thousand different techniques. Kaicho is trying to teach us not to memorize technique, but to learn the fundamentals of all karate so that we can interpret them on our own.

Additionally, I have been reading an excellent book...Shin Gi Tai: Karate Training for Body, Mind, and Spirit by Michael Clarke. If you have not read it, I highly recommend you do. In one chapter he explains that, in the beginning all he wanted to do is memorization, but now he understands that memorization is not what is important. The important thing is the understanding of the deeper meaning behind kata.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to explain it with comparisons.

Boxing is very effective for combat (martial). So is MMA. But the art aspect isn't there.

Now see a kung fu form, a karate kata, etc. See the fluidity and low stances in a kung fu kata, or the deep, low stances with linear strikes and potent linear patterns on your typical shotokan kata. This is the art aspect.

You learn to move like a karate guy, or a kung fu guy, or you lean how to kick fast and repeteadly like a taekwondo guy... you're becoming part of a tradition and a very specific way of moving and engaging your entire body in a way very specific to your martial art. You may never use it in combat, but it doesn't matter.. it's art.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
I also agree that your post is excellent and right on the money. Kaicho Amor, the head of URKA, continuously tells us (the Yudansha) that he is not teaching us technique or what to do. What he is teaching us is a way of life. This is the art. Kata can be interpreted a thousand different ways and there are a thousand different techniques. Kaicho is trying to teach us not to memorize technique, but to learn the fundamentals of all karate so that we can interpret them on our own.

Additionally, I have been reading an excellent book...Shin Gi Tai: Karate Training for Body, Mind, and Spirit by Michael Clarke. If you have not read it, I highly recommend you do. In one chapter he explains that, in the beginning all he wanted to do is memorization, but now he understands that memorization is not what is important. The important thing is the understanding of the deeper meaning behind kata.

Solid post!!

Nowadays, there are way to many MA schools that are pumping out students that are good with memorization but not effective MAists whatsoever; the streets aren't the tournament circuit, nor is it a belt factory.

Imho!!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that the "art" part of all of this, regardless of style, is the application of the techniques and principles of the system to your unique situation. How do you make those motions work for you based on physiology, mindset, and situation. There's a far cry between each of us practicing any style. Even the same system, taught by the same person, won't set on each of us the same. Internalizing what's taught for you is, to me, the art because unlike simple technique, this process requires technical understanding AND an understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses. Plus you need to be able to modify and adjust within the parameters of your chose styles principles. That's a very fluid, and artful, thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I feel that the "art" part of all of this, regardless of style, is the application of the techniques and principles of the system to your unique situation. How do you make those motions work for you based on physiology, mindset, and situation. There's a far cry between each of us practicing any style. Even the same system, taught by the same person, won't set on each of us the same. Internalizing what's taught for you is, to me, the art because unlike simple technique, this process requires technical understanding AND an understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses. Plus you need to be able to modify and adjust within the parameters of your chose styles principles. That's a very fluid, and artful, thing.

Solid post!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "martial" part is usually agreed upon by most.

The "art" part is where I find the most interesting parts. To me, art is expression. One can perform a form and precisely hit each motion, but precision isn't all it takes to make a form look good. It's the rhythm at which they're performed, as well as the varying intensity. We all learn the basic and advanced techniques in class. It's what we do with it after that makes it art. In the end, we all have our own voice, so to speak.

The art part can also be carried over into the application of the "martial" part. As an example, consider sparring. We all have our own go-to techniques and counters. Those who have a larger sense of "creativity" out in the ring end up being more fun to watch. Then there are those who are extremely efficient - those are the ones we may not want to face in the ring!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
To me, art is expression.

I truly agree, to me the art is the personal expression beyond merely learning to perform a technique. To learn a new kata or kihon is to me - comparing it to music - to practice a new scale.

This practice turns into art once I feel confident enough to start writing new songs using the new scale or confident enough to improvise - eventually even with my eyes closed - using that new scale.

When the physical expression of internalised technical knowledge is so refined - or "pure" - that it has the ability to effect another human being on a deeper, emotional level, that is when form has become art to me.

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: