Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between ai ki do and hap ki do?

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know Hapkido is a Korean art whose name translates to "The art (or way) of coordinated power."

Whilst Aikido is a Japanese art whose name translates to "The Way of Harmony of the Spirit".

I found some bits and pieces of information on the web you might find intresting...

The basic description of Aikido is that of a system of joint locks, pins, controls, throws and strikes, although that is most definitely far too basic an explanation. The main reason being that this omits movement, irimi and tenkan, plus the corner-stone principles - Timing, Distance & Balance.

It is this movement that shapes Aikido. (1) Irimi (Entering), moving in and taking your opponents balance as their momentum is moving away, or before there is forward momentum. (2) Tenkan (Turning, Retiring), moving in a circular, retiring way, drawing in your opponents momentum, and neutralising their attack.

Timing & Distance sound quite explanitary, and are simply explained as being in the right place at the right time. The loss of either timing or distance results in not taking the balance and then strength is required to make the technique work. One side of Aikido is that it does not require strength, therefore when it is used that is a failing on the part of the Aikidoka (one who practices Aikido).

Balance is on the part of both the "Tori" (or "Sh'te" or "Nage") and his/her opponent ("Uke"). Tori/Sh'te/Nage must keep his balance stable and strong and remove Uke's balance, hence rendering Uke powerless to resist the technique.

And about Hapkido :

Hap Ki Do is a Korean art of self defense emphasizing "Ki-Gong" internal energy development in combination with a wide range of both defensive and offensive techniques. Some of the skills utilized in Hap Ki Do are:
punches and other various hand skills such as palm strikes and finger strikes
a wide variety of kicking skills
blocking skills utilizing circular nonresistance, redirection, trapping and locking skills
vital point and pressure point skills
joint locking skills and body throws
ground control pinning skills and choking skills
opponent restraining skills.
These skills are designed so that an individual can overcome and subdue an attacker or several attackers with minimum effort and maximum results.
The name "Hap Ki Do" (Way of Coordinating Power) was first used by its founder and Grandmaster Choi Yong-Sool and his students in 1947. Although Chung Do Mu Sool Won is a much older art and term than Hap Ki Do, it must be noted that the reference to Hap Ki Do is a way to categorize the description of Chung Do Mu Sool Won's empty hand self defense skills.

Hope that helps...

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido is pillow fighting, and using your enemies energy and tons of philosophy...

Hapikido is more like Judo with tons of contact, escaping holds, and wrestling.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee, have u done HapKiDo before? Cos u said almost the complete opposite of what it really is.

I've studied HapKiDo under the Australian HapKiDo Group, so i can tell u what it is. Unless my 7th Degree Master didn't have a clue what he was teaching.

Aikido is Japanese with joint locks and all of that, but HapKiDo is a 20th century martial art developed by a korean dude. It is a mix between Aikijujutsu (aikido's ancestor) and Tae Kyon (Tae Kwon Do's ancestor). It emphasises strikes but has a self-defence component which uses locks and throws. It's a 50/50 art.
I hope nobody decides to argue the point with me about what HapKiDo is, cos that's like trying to tell a Thai Boxer that Muay Thai is 80% ground fighting. I've heard a couple of people on this board liken HapKiDo to Judo, and i don't know where they get it from.

Angus

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hapkido is probably much more practical than most styles of aikido. Aikido is missing a lot of the atemi (striking) techniques from its ancestors. It takes a very long time for your aikido to become good enough for use on the street, but its still good fun training.

Some styles of aikido are pretty much "pillow fighting" like TKD_McGee says but not all, some are real world styles, that have less philosophy and more practical technique, like Yoshinkan which is taught to Riot Police.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ill be a grappling monkey. My school has a Hapikido program, but ive never done it before. I have done judo so I could relate it to that. People in that class told me its like judo. HAPIKIDO the korean art right? we talking about the same thing?

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion is about the differences between the Korean art, Hapkido and the Japanese art, Aikido.

If Hapkido is an art that includes grappling and is derived from Jujutsu in part, then how can it be the "opposite" of Judo?

Please could you explain a bit more thoroughly Angus.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a striking art with a self-defence section in the syllabus which allows for wrist locks and some take downs. Hap Ki Do (not spelled Hapi Ki Do) is a korean art, yes. It also includes multi-directional self-defence in which locks defence and throws can be used. Strikes are the primary aspect though. Much like TKD only we used our hands a bit more.

Angus

LightFighterZero
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus is right, Hapkido is a Korean Art of self Defense. It is said to share the best kicks and punches of TaeKwonDo with various forms of grappling techniques similar to those of Akido. But then again I can be wrong. If I am, "sorry, my bad"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: