Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-04 18:13, three60roundhouse wrote:
A junior black belt only gets his or her black belt when they really deserve it - many kids still aren't at their full phsycial and mental maturity at age 16 anyway. Some get it at 16, but my friend just turned 18 and she made the switch after 4 years at junior black belt. The number 16 is just a guide number.

But they do move straight to a black belt when they're ready? What I would be concerned about is dropping the kid to a color belt, or even worse a white belt, just because they learned some things as a kid.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style I'm studying seems to have a good way of working this issue.

Kids can acheive blackbelt status - because the syllabus they study is exactly the same as the adult one. There are extra intermediate grades within the belt system but this is done largely to prevent kids getting disheartened I think.

The junior full-blackbelts at our club are as equally impressive as the adult ones. Just wish I was a little further down that line myself!

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-04 20:49, tessone wrote:

But they do move straight to a black belt when they're ready? What I would be concerned about is dropping the kid to a color belt, or even worse a white belt, just because they learned some things as a kid.

They don't move "straight" to anything. They have to have checks, or re-tests every now and then anyway, but when my instructor thinks a person is ready to make the transition, they have to test over again with other adult candidates for black belt.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They don't move "straight" to anything. They have to have checks, or re-tests every now and then anyway, but when my instructor thinks a person is ready to make the transition, they have to test over again with other adult candidates for black belt.

That's what I meant by being ready--needing to re-test to show that, etc. How often do they re-test to check up on their abilities? Can they have the belt revoked or something?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they fail one of the checks, that means big trouble and lots of intesnse training with the instructor...no one really ever fails those unless guys who have been slacking off on their training.

NBL SLIDER
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school...I dont promote anyone to black belt under the age of 16. I personally do not believe that anyone younger than that can handle the responsibilty that comes with it. Ed Parker (the founder of my system) also believed this as well....so I will stick with what works on that one.
Any student that is ready for black belt but under 16 is tested in my school as a Jr. Black....and is awarded the Black and Red belt that identifies him/her as a Jr.Black

On his/her 16th B-day....they will be awarded their actual black belt in a special ceremony. Then as I do with all my black belts....I take them out to dinner with members of my school.

Hasta!!
Slider
3rd degree black belt
Kenpo Karate

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree No one udner 16. A car is a deadly weapon so is karate once the law says you can drive a car I say you can be a blackbelt.

I would rather go with 18. However since I was just 18 when I made my black belt I figured I would cut them some slack. LOL

I hold my kids at 3rd Brown till they become of age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: