Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question I have faced a lot in the short time I have been teaching. I will take kids above 5 but only for 30mn classes. I tend to do nothing with them but basic moves and let them beat on me (spar with me). I try to work on motor skills and balance with them.

I really don't think most kids should start to they are in their early teens. However there are exceptions to the rule. I got one kid who really caught on and picked up the kata and everything. Still I am very selective of the young kids I take.

What is you feelings on kid black belts? I personally will not have a black belt under me who is not at least 16.

BTW I do not test kids differant than adults. I know some will dumb down the tests but I don't. That may be wrong but again I think rank should mean something.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-28 21:25 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is addressed here in Martial Arts and Politics. HTH.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I have never been into that form until here in a few seconds. Sorry for double posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened upon this on the net today .... thoughts anyone??
http://ksdi.net/wybb.htm

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, 5 year old black belt ?
That's a joke..

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ... I expected that from you Bon! I posted it and saw you in the forum and was just waiting for your response.... (exactly what I thought you would say!) ....
But check out the style of the martial art taught .... and their ranking system .... check out their black belt requirements.....
http://ksdi.net/bbtest.htm .... I don't mean to put them under a microscope or anything but it rather unique to me.
Also on the url I listed it talks about the rebreakable boards that are talked about in the "breaking" thread http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2748&forum=2

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-03 19:50 ]

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a clip of a guy throwing punches from Koo self defense who's a first dan black belt and has been training for 8 years.

It looks so poor, he starts off with his hands at chest height, then is running forward practically, drops both hands to throw some kind of left hook and throws a massive haymaker I'm guessing.

Looks like a true McDojo to me..

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lame is this ?

"Adults Waiting Period Requirements: Black - 6 months to 1st. Degree - 2 years to 2nd Degree - 3 years to 3rd. Degree - 4 years to 4th Degree - 5 years to 5th Degree - Master Level. For a person from the age of 18 onwards, it would take 16.5 years from beginner to Master Level.

Children Waiting Period Requirements: Black - 1 year to 1st. Degree - 4 years to 2nd. Degree - 8 years to 3rd. Degree. The time requirements is double that of the adults, until they reach the age of 18 years when the adult time takes effect.

The potential for a child who join us at the age of 3. By the age of 5 reach Black Belt, age 6 reach 1st. Degree, age 10 reach 2nd. Degree, age 18 reach 3rd. Degree, age 22 reach 4th Degree and finally at age 27 reaches 5th Degree - Master Level"

That frustrates me beyond belief..

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL..

That site contradicts itself..

"KSD's black belt test is the hardest and toughest test in the world! Just imagine going on a shooting range and have to shoot 52 separate targets. A shooting target is made up of different circles narrowing to the 'bull's eye'. It's simple enough just to hit the target but can you hit the 'bull's eye' with at least 42 'bull's eye' out of 52, after you have been physically worn down by some of the harshest KSD drills. The 4 boards 'awesome power' test is the toughest of them all!"

The black belt test, which sounds impressive until you see a clip of a first dan (ignoring the 5 year old black belt, download the clip of the first dan from the bottom of the page here http://members.tripod.com/morganksd/index.html ) and read this :

"This is why Koo Karate beginners are taught techniques considered by most martial arts organizations to be for advanced students only. The round punch (hook) for instance, which is the same punch most street attackers would use, is taught from day one, allowing the student to cultivate this technique from the beginning rather than withholding it until he or she has reached the so called advanced level. Stationary targets are simple drills to maximize power, but moving targets are harder to hit and require more training. Anyone can train themselves to shoot a pistol and be accurate hitting a bull's eye on a stationary target. Yet to do the same thing with a moving target is a very difficult task. "

lsdgjksdhfklshklsdfhsd <-- frustration

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor/owner of our school and I were discussing ranking requirements just the other day and how other schools conduct their gradings etc. etc. I just sent him this link ... and WOW ...I have managed to frustrate 2 guys in one night!
Wait .... "Honey, I'll be there in a second .... I'm still posting on KarateForums".... Make that 3!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: