Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is, what one may come to know something, such as a "written translation, or set", to be that of bushido, for example. Isnt really the way it was intended or likewise be approached.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Samurai code of Bushido is one of those things in Martial Arts that tends to be a product of romanticization more than anything else.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think that the Samurai code of Bushido is one of those things in Martial Arts that tends to be a product of romanticization more than anything else.

Grand post. A short, accurate point to what I was making.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanticization! I concur with this thought/label. I believe in the Code of Bushido BUT I DON'T practice the romanticization of it. That/those can be saved for...a movie out of Hollywood, but, not in me and not in my martial arts and not in my dojo!

Ichi_Geki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Director of Fudoshin Machi Dojo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree many people romanticize it into great valor and rather dying before you tap out.

But for the bushido we practice in my dojo is not romanticized.

I often buy copies of the books "Code of the samurai" By Thoma Cleary

It is a very easy to understand book and I advise anyone who wants to learn more about it to do so.

I focus on familial duty.
I focus on being a better person
I focus on being neatly trimmed (Facial hair)
And I also focus on a mind frame of simpleness.

When I speak of simpleness I mean as an example that when you are sparring, and you get that point in, your not hopping around on one leg exclaiming victory...thats not how it works. You have to have a mind of Zanshin, once you get the point in keep your composure like its a real fight.

And familial duty, I once scolded a kid who came to my dojo on his father's birthday. While he was suppose to go out to eat with his father, he skipped out on him and came to learn from me.

Those are the codes I post in my dojo. Obviously we are not gonna pick up our daisho and run at the next person that insults us. That is asinine. But what is good is that we have a warrior like spirit in everything that we do in life. At work, strive to be the best, sparring, strive to win and being able to deliver that killing blow right on time. During machiwara strive for every strike to be better then the next. These are how the samurai lived, we just have to learn how to apply them to our daily principles.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this is just me and I like the Code of Bushido, but, I love and obey God...ONLY!

Ichi_Geki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm a god fearing individual as well, and I respect my god. And I never allow Bushido to take aspect in me as a religion. But I do use Bushido to help my students get into an original mind sent, like why Karate and Kobudo were used for.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichi_Geki wrote:
I agree. I'm a god fearing individual as well, and I respect my god. And I never allow Bushido to take aspect in me as a religion. But I do use Bushido to help my students get into an original mind sent, like why Karate and Kobudo were used for.

Yepper!

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichi_Geki wrote:

I am at odds with the term "god fearing", as I do not think people should "fear" god, but embrace.

However, that said, Bushido was a unwritten code practice at a time when such was practiced within a certain set of moral or behavior obligations.

Ichi_Geki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
Ichi_Geki wrote:

I am at odds with the term "god fearing", as I do not think people should "fear" god, but embrace.

However, that said, Bushido was a unwritten code practice at a time when such was practiced within a certain set of moral or behavior obligations.

I fear anyone that can help a guy kill a 8 foot giant...

But yes Bushido was never anything really religious, most Budoka were buddhists but bushido was never a religion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: