Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: What is your best tip to bring in adult students Reply with quote

I would like to significantly improve my student roster. What is the best tip that YOU have used or heard of? Thank you in advance

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of people who can help you with this. Marketing is a difficult part of running a school. You didn't mention what steps you're already taking, so I'm going to assume that you have taken none.

I would reach out to a marketing firm and find out what they can offer you. In the mean time, Instagram is a great way to put eyes on your school. Post pictures and videos. Do videos of students and yourself doing kata. Have videos breaking down those kata. Buy ad space on social media. Buy ad time on your local public radio and tv network. Find out when your local grade schools are doing a field day and ask if you can do a demo there. Go to your local colleges and ask about their martial arts clubs, see if you can network with them. When you go to tournaments, are you huddled in a group? Or are you talking to other instructors from different schools? Are you talking to the tournament organizers to get your name on their radars, potentially to help sponsor a tournament? Is there a rec center near you that you can post flyers in?

Get exposure, is the gist of these tips. Make sure that people know your name. In Alabama, there is a lawyer named Alex Shunnarah. He buys every billboard he can. You cannot go down the highway without seeing his face. He's a meme, at this point, but he's also embraced that. You cannot think "I need a lawyer" without thinking of his name. Be the name that people think of.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offering family rates can help encourage families to make it a group effort. Offering discounts to students who get a friend signed up can be helpful, too.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moths to the flame. If your dojo has a reputation of solid integrity and effectiveness and consistency, and not gimmicks, that prospective adult student will darken your dojo's door...if you build it, they will come.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising self defense! Women’s self defense, to be specific. And I do mean “women’s self defense,” not “karate for women” or something like that.

My dojo has been open a month, and I kept getting requests for a self defense class with no karate type stuff. So I hosted a free women’s self defense class, about 20 showed up, and my dojo is all over the towns social media sites now! We were also taking donations for a local organization.

To be fair, I was lucky enough to have a student of mine from where I used to teach. She ended up teaching the self defense class (I was there to help) and she did a great job. I think that advertising my student (female) as the self defense instructor for the event was a good move. And a bunch of the women asked for a schedule after it was over because she stressed the importance of continuing your training.

Now, I have 2 “self defense” classes on my schedule to help draw in some of the people who are too hesitant to try karate. The curriculum that I put together for the self defense class is rather short, and I intend on making it very repetitive.
1. So the students attending that class can get good at those techniques.
2. So I can always mention that there’s a lot more to explore in the world of self defense if they attend my karate classes as well.

I’m feeling very good about this!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that the biggest proponents for your dojo are women who feel safe within the walls of said dojo. To echo Scohen here, creating a safe space for your students, running Women's Self Defense classes, making people feel welcome... these things are the biggest pluses to get others to advertise for you.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Advertising self defense! Women’s self defense, to be specific. And I do mean “women’s self defense,” not “karate for women” or something like that.

My dojo has been open a month, and I kept getting requests for a self defense class with no karate type stuff. So I hosted a free women’s self defense class, about 20 showed up, and my dojo is all over the towns social media sites now! We were also taking donations for a local organization.

To be fair, I was lucky enough to have a student of mine from where I used to teach. She ended up teaching the self defense class (I was there to help) and she did a great job. I think that advertising my student (female) as the self defense instructor for the event was a good move. And a bunch of the women asked for a schedule after it was over because she stressed the importance of continuing your training.

Now, I have 2 “self defense” classes on my schedule to help draw in some of the people who are too hesitant to try karate. The curriculum that I put together for the self defense class is rather short, and I intend on making it very repetitive.
1. So the students attending that class can get good at those techniques.
2. So I can always mention that there’s a lot more to explore in the world of self defense if they attend my karate classes as well.

I’m feeling very good about this!

It's great that you were able to get a large draw like that. Our school advertised for women's self-defense course not long ago...we had 2 students show up...which didn't surprise me at all. It was disappointing, but not unexpected. Hopefully, you're able to have more good showings.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bushido_man!

I definitely got lucky. But what I think was most important, was I made a video of the female instructor, just showing her training and beating me up. Then, me and a couple other people shared it all over social media (particularly Facebook), across multiple groups in the area. This really got the word out and got people excited to come.

I’m already scheduled to host another at the end of February, and I think 7 women have signed up already?

Social media is key!

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I would say, offer real full contact sparring. Hard contact hard training. It could be separate class.
I myself find this what brings adults to boxing or mma. Classes that teach real fighting, not games for kids.
Yeah you might get few parents to join with their kids, but they will mostly stop training after a while, and definately when their kid stops.
And people who want to learn how to defend and fight will look for something different than just doing basic drills, sparring with no contact or doing standing joint locks on unresisting opponent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: