Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: What is your reason for learning martial arts? Reply with quote

Why learn martial arts?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for learning the MA goes back to when I was 7 years old, 1964; self defense...pure and simple. The neighborhood I lived in at the time wasn't the safest for me, alas, the majority were predator after the minority...I was of the minority. That was most evident in the schools where bullies ran for the most part ran unchecked; had my lunch money stolen from me daily while these bullies dealt a heavy dose of physical abuse.

My mom got wind of it, and therefore, she enrolled me into a martial arts school, namely, Shindokan Saitou-ryu. However, the bullying and thievery continued until I was more able in defending myself much more effectively; often times force was meet with force.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To deter school and neighbourhood bullies and defend younger, smaller or weaker people who could not do it for themselves. Karate also provided a great opportunity to get and stay strong and maintain a good fitness level despite being utterly uninterested in Phys Ed or any other type of physical activity.

Finally it left no time to get into trouble by following a peer group who leaned towards reckless behaviours and illegal activity. If it weren’t for karate training, jail time or a life ruined by stupid risky actions would have been the outcome because that is where many former acquaintances ended up.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in the Martial Arts sprouted at a young age, around 5 or 6, following my dad to his TKD classes and participating mildly. I remember watching old Chuck Norris movies with my dad growing up, too. From that point on, I'd always held an interest, and when I got into middle school, being a non-athlete putting up with bullying problems myself, went to class with a friend, and the rest is history.

I continue to do it because I love the challenge it provides, I love to teach, and being able to share what I enjoy with others.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 7 I wanted to be a Power Ranger. I figured if I already knew karate, Zordon would be more likely to pick me.

I went back after I graduated college because I missed it. I like the personal challenge. I like the camaraderie with my classmates. I like teaching the kids and being a positive influence on their lives. For me it's mostly a fun hobby to get out of the house and be with others while getting a bit of exercise.

I don't really do it for the self-defense, but I like knowing it increases my chances of being able to protect myself if someone attacks me (though I'm in no way deluded about my abilities-- I know as a woman, if a large man attacks me, I'm still going to be at a huge disadvantage).

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It started with simply a desire to learn to fight. Everything was about the combative nature of it. Fast forward nearly 30 years and it's something far more at this point. Now it's about the art, passing knowledge on, things more along that line.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting how the reasons for starting are not always the same ones as for continuing in martial arts. Initially many began because they were inspired by a role model or the desire or real need to learn to deal with violent situations and bullies. After a while a certain confidence in skills develops and one’s reasons for training become more personal, more focused inwards instead of challenges from outside.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
It is interesting how the reasons for starting are not always the same ones as for continuing in martial arts. Initially many began because they were inspired by a role model or the desire or real need to learn to deal with violent situations and bullies. After a while a certain confidence in skills develops and one’s reasons for training become more personal, more focused inwards instead of challenges from outside.

Well said Spartacus Maximus, this explains me to a T, without the biography.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that becomes obvious once practise and training become personal is that bullies or any other threat, attack or challenge one will be confronted with; there are none more difficult to beat or escape than the ones carried by each individual person.

With a little time, skill and good timing one can overcome a thug, yet it will take years of effort and perhaps more pain to iron out that one nagging flaw in one’s technique.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy both the physical and mental challenges that it gives me. Also the disciple. Being ex-military, maybe it has become a replace for that, I don't know, I just know that I enjoy it very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: