Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
I may have exaggerated slightly. It's quite rare to find a teacher that says something definitely works, but such teachers are out there. What us much more common is that techniques are not trained in such a way that they flow naturally one to another. For kids I think this is a problem. Adults can practice this flow more easily.

To the underlined. So you're saying that no technique/application works all the time on any attacker?

Yes.

Quote:

I guess I'm one of those rare teachers that dares to say this technique works. .

Every time? Against any opponent? If that's the case, then all martial arts would be pointless except for one very simple one with just a handful of techniques. I'd pay good money to be trained such techniques.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
I may have exaggerated slightly. It's quite rare to find a teacher that says something definitely works, but such teachers are out there. What us much more common is that techniques are not trained in such a way that they flow naturally one to another. For kids I think this is a problem. Adults can practice this flow more easily.

To the underlined. So you're saying that no technique/application works all the time on any attacker?

Yes.

Quote:

I guess I'm one of those rare teachers that dares to say this technique works. .

Every time? Against any opponent? If that's the case, then all martial arts would be pointless except for one very simple one with just a handful of techniques. I'd pay good money to be trained such techniques.

If given the opportunity to use it. Obviously targets are moving in a real fight and not stationary as in practice. But yes, when I have the opportunity and have executed the technique it has always worked for me.

However I'm not trying to give the wrong impression that it's the end all do all either. As with any technique is concerned you must have opportunity, timing, distance, and proper execution.

I guess I should have clarified that but based on your post I read that no technique would work 100% of the time. That is not true however I must preface that with you have to have the opportunity to use it.

If this was the way you meant it I will fall back on yes it works every time I am given the opportunity to use it. Just like any fight not all techniques are able to be used. Your favorite might be the right cross but if the opponent doesn't give you the opportunity to use it then it's worthless.

Hope this makes a bit more sense.

To the bold. I'm not sure how many fights you've been in but often this is the case. You only use a handful of techniques. Obviously those techniques change depending on the opponent and the conditions.

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever used more than a handful of techniques in any fight. it's great to have 100's or 1000's of techniques to draw from but when it gets serious it typically falls down to just a few.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically of the belief that life is not fair in general, and to wait for it to become so is a futile effort. My dad always told me "don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff."

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, "Fair" is just a place where you eat cotton candy and step in monkey crap.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
To me, "Fair" is just a place where you eat cotton candy and step in monkey crap.

Absolutely!! LOL!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:

Don't forget the obscene prices.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid points!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:

ROFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: