Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: What's on your Martial Arts bucket list? Reply with quote

What goals do you want to complete in the Martial Arts? Places to visit? (Martial Arts related) People you want to train with? Things you want to learn?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no goals to complete in martial arts, as this implies a destination.

I have visited enough places to know that there is no place like home.

The people I want to train with are my students.

I want to learn at least one new useful thing every day and try to unlearn as much unnecessary things as possible on an hourly basis.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to visit Okinawa, Japan, and New Zealand (the URKA has several dojos in New Zealand, including our largest dojo. Their annual Karate camp is reported to be exceptional).

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd ever be able to pull it off, but seeing a live UFC event would probably be a good time. I'd enjoy the K-1 tournament, too, if it still happens.

A seminar with Iain Abernethy or Stuart Anslow would be a lot of fun, and quite educational, I think. I'm not sure how well a seminar would go with Abernethy, since I don't know the Karate forms, but I still think I could learn a lot.

Being able to go to an Olympic or other International Wrestling event, or NCAA Nationals, would be a blast.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely like to go to Okinawa, again, but this time without the shackles of the organization I have been a part of, so that I could actually do a lot of training while I'm there.

Since I can't pass medicals to fight, anymore, it would be cool to start coaching some students for MMA fights.

I'm starting my own dojo when I move in January/February, so that's a goal I'm close to meeting, as it is.

There are a bunch of people I would like to train with, of course.

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd ever be able to pull it off, but seeing a live UFC event would probably be a good time. I'd enjoy the K-1 tournament, too, if it still happens.

A seminar with Iain Abernethy or Stuart Anslow would be a lot of fun, and quite educational, I think. I'm not sure how well a seminar would go with Abernethy, since I don't know the Karate forms, but I still think I could learn a lot.

Being able to go to an Olympic or other International Wrestling event, or NCAA Nationals, would be a blast.

If it helps, you don't need to know the kata to learn things at Iain's seminars--he refers to the kata, of course, but you don't have to perform the kata, or anything, so you're really just learning drills. Toward the end he also has you do some padwork, and a bit of light resistant training with some of the content from the seminar.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

But you do know Niahanchi Shodan Kata, Brian, at least, just enough to jog your memory that I taught you a few years ago. If not, then Noah is dead on about how Iain's seminars are conducted.

As far as my MA Bucket List...

After 55 years on the floor, I suppose that I've nothing to pick for my MA Bucket List. I've trained in both Japan and Okinawa more than a dozen times. I've trained with a very wide plethora of MA styles outside of Shindokan, with some of the very best CI's one can ask for. I've been blessed with owning and operating my own full-time dojo ever since 1977, with close to a thousand or more students that have blessed me by allowing me to teach them Shindokan over 42 years. Was elected into the SKKA Hierarchy ever since a Rokudan [1988] in 1989 to 2019, as a Regent and as Kiacho/CI of the SKKA Hombu.

I suppose I've been both blessed and cursed all at the same time. So, for the moment, I've nothing remaining, nor do I have anything else to add

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
If it helps, you don't need to know the kata to learn things at Iain's seminars--he refers to the kata, of course, but you don't have to perform the kata, or anything, so you're really just learning drills. Toward the end he also has you do some padwork, and a bit of light resistant training with some of the content from the seminar.

That's good to know! I wasn't sure how he worked those seminars out.

sensei8 wrote:
But you do know Niahanchi Shodan Kata, Brian, at least, just enough to jog your memory that I taught you a few years ago. If not, then Noah is dead on about how Iain's seminars are conducted.

That is true, Bob, although I would need a bit of memory-jogging to get it back on-line.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I saw UFC Fight Night 130 in Liverpool a couple of years back. Was really good and about 8 hours of fights.

Saw Olympic TKD at London 2012 too.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to train TKD in North Korea. Twice I've just missed out going due to injury. Would also like to train in Japan as they have a strong ITF TKD presence.

Would be awesome to do seminars with people like Bill Wallace but I suppose that's probably not going to happen.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I saw UFC Fight Night 130 in Liverpool a couple of years back. Was really good and about 8 hours of fights.

Saw Olympic TKD at London 2012 too.

That UFC nigh sounds awesome, and getting 8 hours of fights, that's worth the price of admission.

What were your thoughts on Olympic TKD? Did you enjoy the fights?

DWx wrote:

Would be awesome to do seminars with people like Bill Wallace but I suppose that's probably not going to happen.

That would be a fun time. He's getting up their in age, though. Do you know if he still does seminars?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: