Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
There's a multitude of reasons. They change over time. At one point, I really believed that it was all about self defense or nothing. Then I got into competing and then that was okay. Now that I'm older it's okay to just be around because you love it. The key is for each person to take a look at why they are training, a realistic look, and make sure they are in a position to match that. Otherwise, you'll never enjoy it.

I agree with this. Why we start our journey in Martial Arts can be very different then why we end up sticking around for as long as many of us do.

As for me, I find what I want in my style, and I look for the things I want to find, if that makes any sense.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me martial art is a compassionate way of life, an art of living life with the strength, balance and control of body and mind required to follow the winding path of life in a compassionate and balanced way

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not meaning to throw a stick into the bicycle spoke here...

The MA holds a treasure trove of importance to that said MAist, in which, what motivates and/or touches one MAist isn't the same for another MAist, but each stand upon their personal/professional reasons unswervingly, but nonetheless...

What's NOT the point of the MA??

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get side tracked, but....

As for the practicality of traditional stances - I have a different view on the way they were meant to be used. I do not look at them as "stances" but rather positions you find yourself processing through NOT standing in. Not sure if that makes any sense but if y'all have practiced JSA, think of the different "guard" positions (high, mid, low, hanging, side, etc). Those are not so much the way you would hold your sword as you entered a dual but rather positions you pass through as you move and understanding the techniques that work well from those positions (or stances) is beneficial. I have seen a famous MMA fighter use a wide horse stance just not in the way one would think of when they picture standing in one and repeatedly punching an invisible target directly in front of their center line.

As for the point of Martial Arts, I guess I consider the human a 3 part being - Body, Mind, and Soul. I feel all three have to be continually exercised and improved during our stay on this planet. I feel martial arts is a good way to hit all of those categories at the same time.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:

As for the practicality of traditional stances - I have a different view on the way they were meant to be used. I do not look at them as "stances" but rather positions you find yourself processing through NOT standing in. Not sure if that makes any sense but if y'all have practiced JSA, think of the different "guard" positions (high, mid, low, hanging, side, etc). Those are not so much the way you would hold your sword as you entered a dual but rather positions you pass through as you move and understanding the techniques that work well from those positions (or stances) is beneficial. I have seen a famous MMA fighter use a wide horse stance just not in the way one would think of when they picture standing in one and repeatedly punching an invisible target directly in front of their center line.

As for the point of Martial Arts, I guess I consider the human a 3 part being - Body, Mind, and Soul. I feel all three have to be continually exercised and improved during our stay on this planet. I feel martial arts is a good way to hit all of those categories at the same time.
I agree on your take about stances. Although they tend to be practiced statically in many situations, they are actually transitional, and need to be practiced this way in partner work.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:

I like your way of thinking about mind, body and soul. Also concur about stances.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts are very diverse, so the point is different for whichever one you are participating in. The answer for aikido is not the same as for Olympic TKD.

The great thing about that diversity is for whatever the priority of the individual is, there's a martial art that's a good fit.

As an individual, my definition of the "point" is, the benefits you get out of it. The usual ones are fitness, self-defense, self-discipline, etc. When people get more involved there's social aspects: making friends, competition, status from rank, participation in an organization.

For me personally, the point has changed considerably over the many years I've trained. I've had a lot of different experiences, tried different styles. The most important point for me at this point in life is maintaining physical and mental health.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: