Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An education is certainly admirable. But, experience has a lot to say as well.

When I was "BIG" corporate (13 years), one of my talents was a mainframe statistical analysis programmer with a language called "SAS." My best friend in the corporate world was extremely well educated with more MAs, BAs, and soon to be a lawyer, than anyone esle in the entire company... He also had a degree in computer science, and additionally had attended just about "all" of the critical SAS classes. After all of this, I was still a better SAS programmer, over all, than he was - he was always coming to me and I would show him programming techniques. And yet, my education is pathetic compared to his, and I had hardly attended any of the SAS classes. After leaving the company, had I acquired my SAS credentials, I could be easily making $150k right now... But instead, I would get tons of calls and the first question out of their mouth would be "do you have your SAS credentials???

Ever since the downsizing of my previous dream job, now I'm making penuts by comparison with my new job and a lot more headaches... Nice promotions are in the horizons with some projects I'm working on, but I've lost my corporate motivation after being so deceived at my previous job - but we'll see.

I guess the real point in this sob story is that an education is very impressive and provides great credibility, but doesn't necessarily mean that the educated person truly has the necessary experience in the field they have embarked in... I have seen this soooo many times.

Although, I'm still for a good education though... And I insist that my daughters get one - but apply their education for appropriate experience in the process.

- Killer -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunbu itchi...

Pen and Sword in accord.

It sure helps the instructor grow and this must benefit the student.

On the other hand, my college degree has yet to block a single kick or punch !

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it does show and what is valued is demonstrated ability to commit to a task.

It also reassures the employer that the educated man knows how to research and GET the answers. You became one of his tools...

Nothing personal!

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to finally answer the question...

My one and only "MASTER" was an illiterate Korean who spent 40 years in America with the appearant inability to even learn a new language...

Since that time, I have had many mentors of varying degrees of education. The ones that scare the living daylights out of me generally tend to have little or no formal education.

I also know a lot of highly educated masters that I can whip the dogsnot out of. But they know an awful lot and tend towards more enlightened discussions.

I think the self-educated ones are the best. The ones whom have learned to think, examine, and more importantly, question everything they are supposedly "taught."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: