Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: What safety precautions do boxing gyms take to allow sparrin Reply with quote

Are you allowed to go for full contact blows against each other, or what should I expect in a few months when I finally get to spar?

Boxing doesn't really make sense if not performed full contact, but that means risking knockouts and health.

Are you allowed to punch as hard as you can in sparring or how do boxing instructors deal with this risk?

mkdaggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it depends on the gym and those training in it. I would suggest watching how the regulars spar and asking them. I would usually spar with anyone but mainly those who were preparing for a fight, as they wanted to get work in and weren't throwing every punch with knock out intentions. It wasn't "powderpuffing" and it wasn't 100% all of the time.

If someone went in and tried knocking people out, they would usually be labeled and people would either avoid them or give them a beating. My approach was to be respectful to all I worked with and I never had any issues and got plenty of great sparring in. If I hurt someone I would back off and make sure they were ok to continue. Again, it really depends on the gym and who you are training with.

One thing I noticed was that newer guys would sometimes start out going very hard and then gass in the second round. And guess what, they would then get what they dished out and more. Ask those at the gym and be respectful and humble and you should be fine...all things considered.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...ask the gym owner!! We might steer you the wrong way because we're not...well...them!!

My days with Eric Nolan and Kathy Long were that much of what you're asking dependent on experience levels. Things were gradual, especially if they didn't know you!! Once trust and experience was established, then contact was increased.

Besides, any gym worth its salt will put safety above all things, this I've seen with my own eyes. Head gear is worn pretty much all of the time. But, I've seen fighters KO'd while wearing that same head gear.

Ask the gym for clarifications, not speculations!!

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkdaggy wrote:
In my experience, it depends on the gym and those training in it. I would suggest watching how the regulars spar and asking them. I would usually spar with anyone but mainly those who were preparing for a fight, as they wanted to get work in and weren't throwing every punch with knock out intentions. It wasn't "powderpuffing" and it wasn't 100% all of the time.

If someone went in and tried knocking people out, they would usually be labeled and people would either avoid them or give them a beating. My approach was to be respectful to all I worked with and I never had any issues and got plenty of great sparring in. If I hurt someone I would back off and make sure they were ok to continue. Again, it really depends on the gym and who you are training with.

One thing I noticed was that newer guys would sometimes start out going very hard and then gass in the second round. And guess what, they would then get what they dished out and more. Ask those at the gym and be respectful and humble and you should be fine...all things considered.

The ones I've seen sparred lighter than in my TaeKwondo school.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they spar a lot, but do different types of sparring. Sometimes going light and getting combo work in, or other times just working the mitts or the bags.

I'm sure sometimes the sparring contact is kicked up a few notches, because that's the game, but its too risky to do that all the time.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk about CTEs in the media lately, I don't know why anyone would want to go full contact with boxing, or any other sport. There's tremendous risk with getting repeatedly knocked in the head.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
With all the talk about CTEs in the media lately, I don't know why anyone would want to go full contact with boxing, or any other sport. There's tremendous risk with getting repeatedly knocked in the head.

There's nothing going to waste in my case. And sparring on the gym is not going to cause any CTE in me. I stick and jab and protect myself behind 16 Oz gloves.

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

There's nothing going to waste in my case. And sparring on the gym is not going to cause any CTE in me. I stick and jab and protect myself behind 16 Oz gloves.

Not to mention there's certain gyms that utilize headgear.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protective gear certainly helps, and if I were to go all-out full-contact, then yeah, I'd prefer to wear that gear.

That being said, protective gear only helps to reduce the risk.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headgear does not prevent head trauma, the brain shakes regardless. Headgear is removed from the Boxing Olympics because studies found that they increase the risk for CTE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: