Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

circleplus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm looking for my first dojo. what questions should i ask them before i commit to training?

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you can at least watch a class, or better stay for a trial class. If you like what you see or enjoy the class then ask any questions you want, if you don't, leave.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda hard to answer without knowing what you are looking for, however, there is a KuK Sool Won school in Berkley that might appeal you. Call them up and see if you can observe a class. Those people there are nice to talk to and it might be close enough to you. Let me know if you want their web site address.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the impression that the instructor is only looking for money then ask where the door is. Make sure you find somewhere they allow you to watch a class and pay more attention to the students than the instructor. If they are good then the instructor is prob. good.

Pete

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the styles in your area. Go see some classes of the different styles and see what interests you and what you think you would stick with. Many people change from one style to another.

While this is common to do so, it is known that the first style is normally the one that leaves the base, the more profound "marks". Try to choose a style that suits your needs and at the same time offers you a kind of "challenge" to go on learning.

A couple of things that are important parts to look at in the process of choosing a school:

-The environment where you'll learn and train
-The people that will be your partners
-The instructor
-The logistics of the school

Find out if you are required to attend classes, find out about being late, find out what the policy is on school rules of behavior and
etiquette.
Find out how you are supposed to interact with the teacher and other students. There are many styles for all these things so make sure you find out. The easiest way is to ask these questions.

The instructor is the person who is going to be guiding your development as a martial artist. You need to feel comfortable withhim or her, and feel secure in receiving instruction from them. If you have some unease or personality conflict with the instructor you might want to look elsewhere.

As most martial arts involve vigorous physical activity and contact, injuries will occasionally occur. However, if injuries are common or serious, there is likely a problem in how training is supervised, and you will probably want to look elsewhere. It will be difficult to tell what the frequency/severity of injuries in the class is in one or two visits. Ask the instructor.

If you are intending to spend a lot of time at the school you want it to be accessible, and convenient enough for you to get to after work.
Another thing you want to be clear on is when you can go to the school and when classes are.
Some schools are open almost all the time and have lots of classes. In some schools you can only come when an official class is being held. An open school is usually better for obvious reasons ... convenience, practice time, access to mats, etc.

Don't worry about looking stupid or asking the "wrong" question. They are going to be teaching and training you- you want to get any concerns or considerations you have out before you commit to anything.

There may be other questions you want to look at i.e. cost and method of payment and other specific questions you may have about an instructor, school, organization, or style you are looking at. Know the questions you want answered and you will find the perfect school for you!

Good Luck & come back and let us know your decision!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-07 16:00 ]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First just watch class a few times. Watch the higher ranks if they look good or bad. How focused are they or are they sloppy. This is the big thing I notice first.

Ask for his training history. When he started who he trained under. If he or she is the real deal these question are simply answered without looking it up.

Look for honest answers to all questions. If he keeps saying in so long you will be this rank or you can beat up so many people this is not a good sign. Don't let him make promises. You want a teacher that will say here is the requirments that you must meet and time is secondary.

If its a popular art like Shotokan or TKD or something go to the internet on a site like this and find out about his style ask him some history questions about his art. If he don't know the history of what he teaches then maybe you need to look elsewhere.

One other thing is number of classes vs price. Hate to say it but money is at the bottom of everything you got to get the best training you can but you can't affored to have a Master from Japan come in. So ge the best bang for you buck.

circleplus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't thank you enough for the knowledge you've shared. my first experience with martial arts and those who practice it has been a good one. i will let you all know when i have chosen a style and which style it is i choose. i am excited, for i now have a challenge to face. and it is a challenge i did not foolishly face alone. thank you again for helping me get started on the right foot.

sincerely,
O +

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always remember you need to spend a long time learning basics first. If the first classes seem repititive that is sort of how it goes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: