Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

trevalan2000
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: what style should i decide to practice? Reply with quote

Hello, I am a short stocky (5'4 172lbs) person who has been an athlete in the past. Now that I am older and in college and cant dedicate myself to a sport like football as I did in high school i want a new hobby. I weight lift regularly, so i hope that goes well with karate (im sure it does). I spend a lot of time practicing my hobbies too btw so lack of time/dedication isnt a problem unless it takes like 20 years to master. I would like advice on what styles are good for short people? im interested in learning strikes and take downs/grappling. I am open to one style that includes both or different styles that cover each one separately such as judo combined with kyokushin or something. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I know next to nothing about karate but am very interested. Also I enjoy brutal training and want these styles to have full contact training.

Secondly, after what amount of training can you begin to enter local tournaments? I would like to compete on some small level someday possibly.
Thank you!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA could be the way to go. It will give you a good skill base if you change your mind later. Kyokushin tends to encourage crosstraining, but doen't include much grappling. Judo is perfect for short stocky guys, but doesn't include striking typically.

As far as competition, you'd want to train hard and consistantly for a couple years before doing an MMA fight, just because, frankly, it hurts. In karate or judo, you could compete with others of similar skill in a few months.

The best advice, though, is to visit local schools, ask to watch a class, and get a feel of the general vibe.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums trevalan2000

Have you checked out what styles are being taught in your local area?

Since you've said you'd like grappling and full contact striking, I'd agree with MasterPain that something MMA focused might suit you. Or maybe a knockdown Karate style with some grappling thrown in as well.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about your build when looking what style to start, be more mindful of the instructor and how the class feels and what they do. Things can be adapted to suit you.

trevalan2000
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go around and look at all the different schools when I have the time in a day or two and talk to the instructors maybe get some free courses. ill post back later thanks for the responses!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what style should i decide to practice? Reply with quote

trevalan2000 wrote:
Secondly, after what amount of training can you begin to enter local tournaments? I would like to compete on some small level someday possibly.
Thank you!

You can enter any local tournament without any training. Will you win? Maybe, maybe not. Tournaments have white belt/beginner divisions.

Good luck, and please keep us informed how things go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: