Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: what to ask an instructor before attending Reply with quote

hi - i wanted to know what specific questions there are, that i should ask my instructor before i sign any contracts. i mean as for training and everything.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few come directly to mind:
What do I get for my money?
How many classes week?
Are there additional testing fees?
What are the requirements for attendance, testing, etc.?
What happens if I am injured and can't train for a while?
What about if I move away?
Are there hidden costs, i.e., additional uniforms, seminar fees, etc.?
Who will be instructing my classes?
How aften is the school closed?
Can I change my training schedule if needed?

There are many other questions, as I am sure our forum members will bring up. A piece of advice...don't sign any contract or make any committment until you have observed and taken a few classes, talked with students, and met all the instructors. Contracts are hard to get out of once you sign on the dotted line.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I explained my physical situation (age & chronic tendinitis) and asked if we could work around that. (We could. He's very careful.) I asked what all you could expect to learn. I wasn't really interested in belts, so I didn't ask about those, and this particular group doesn't do tournaments, so that also eliminated a whole category of questions. We pay by the month so that eliminated the problem of what happens if you move to another town. I was not yet cleared by my dr. to start up when I met my teacher, and he invited me to watch as long as I needed to, gratis. And while I did that, he would keep asking if I had any questions, treating me just like a participating student, which I thought was very nice of him. He says he has everybody, injured or not, watch for a few classes to make sure it's something they would like and think they can stick with. This makes sense to me. I would ask a prospective teacher if you can watch a few times before you lay down any money.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always ask about grading fees (are they included,are they additional), contract status (is there a provision for breaking the contract in case of having to relocate, change work hours, illness, etc...? Make sure it is in WRITING!!!!), are additional "seminars" required? Are the included in the fees? Are there extra fees for equipment? Has the dojo liability insurance? How is the dojo represented in its business liscence (Health CLub, Private Corporation, etc... these have some bearing on pricing)?
Non-financial: Who is the instructor's teacher? IS he still in contact with his instructor? IS it possible to contact his instructor for verification? What governing body (if any) certifies Dan grades? Is the instructor familiar with other instructors in other areas, so that should you have to relocate, he will be able to reccomend a new school?
Dojo appearance: Is it clean/ well lit? Are separate changing facilities available for men and women?
Instructor appearance: IS he clean/well groomed? IS his GI clean? Has he an odour of alcohol about him? Does he seem to be inebriated? Is he in reasonably good shape?
Observing class: How do the newest students behave? How is discipline administered? What is the skill level of the brown belts and newest Shodans (this is the best idicator of an instructor's ability to teach!) ?

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the ones about his appearance, I didn't have to ask those; he explained them all the first night. I got the whole history of the technique; much of that was over my head, but I guess it's good he explained it since it sounds like it's something that should be asked about.

Yup, he's clean, clothes are clean, doesn't smell like booze, and appears to be in pretty good shape; when he taught me how to push him across the floor, I noticed he was VERY solid for his size. (He's short.) In fact I wouldn't have believed a little old lady could shove a muscular young man across the floor like that, especially when the young man's actively resisting, if I hadn't done it!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: