Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows because he is not

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD would not be what it is today; there would be nothing noticable between the JKD of Bruce Lee and the JKD existing today.

Bruce Lee himself said, "If Jeet Kune Do is different from 'this' or 'that,' then let the name of Jeet Kune Do be wiped out, for thist is what it is, just a name. Please don't fuss over it." (The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, pg. 208, final paragraph; Bruce Lee, (C)Copyright 1975 Linda Lee)

I honestly believe there would be nothing similar to the JKD of today if Bruce Lee was allowed to continue in life. What I see of JKD today is nothing of what I have read about JKD, and what Bruce himself has said about it. JKD today is sold solely on Bruce's namesake and not the art/philosophy he intended.(see above quote.)

Aside from that Bruce was just another martial artist. I couldn't append greatest to anyone. He was famous. He sparked the martial arts phenomon in the US and eventually the West. He was excellent on film, and a much needed hero for Asia.

He was just a man that inspired many. But inspiring others was not his goal. In his interviews it was his sole desire to become an American superstar in Hollywood.

Because he didn't then I must agree with BlueDragon1981: who knows because he is not. Everything is just speculation.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wouldn't be a Legend or an icon.
He would make more pictures during the 70's and maybe the 80's but i doubt he'll would be still working on films today.
He would Still be training Martial arts and keep his personal evolution as a Martial artist.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher knew Lee. They trained together from time to time. As someone else stated in a simular thread elsewere. My teacher agrees completely that Lee had small man complex. He was good and influinced our style quite a bit. But he was an actor and knew how to give people what they wanted.

larryjf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at some of his interviews and some writings i think that he was becoming more spiritual and less physical in his ideas of what is important. I think with his amazing popularity, skill, and increased focus on the spiritual coupled with his "megalomania" type attitude (very full of himself) that he would have started a cult.
I am a christian, so my idea of his spiritual concepts is that they are not of God.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing that at almost 30 years past his death, he is still a "house-hold" name. He truly helped to popularize MA in the west.

BlackI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a cult would have been started I can't say if he would be the one who started it. What we must all realize it that if it we not for Bruce we would not be MA's to start with. Now, I am not a Big fan of his, but I definitely respect him and what he did for MA in the States. Before his appereance there was very little in the way of MA in the states. Even now there is not a great respect and admiration for traditional MA, but there is for Western Boxing. I think that is ironic.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a martial artist because of Bruce Lee. He is not the reason I am a martial artist.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:

What is the big deal about Bruce Lee. Ok I know he was in amazing shape and came up with JKD but really the only reason so many people know him is because he was in show business, and in my opinion this was a negative for his martial artist status. I hold alot more respect for the masters how humblly lived their lives and didn't show off there talents. Everyone talks like Bruce Lee was The Greatest Martial artist ever, well I am sorry I agree he was an exception master but I do not hold him on the pedistool that so many people today seem too.

Well you certainly need not put him on a pedestal but his contribution is undeniable. Bruce created such a shockwave in the martial arts community that the ripple can still be felt right up to this very moment in this very thread - thud!

The 1950s: A time when the biggest thing that had hit the arts in this country was a hip throw or a 'backfist', a time when people barely understood what a reverse punch was and had never even heard of something called Kung-Fu; Bruce Lee appeared and introduced the newbie Western martial artists to something called a Pak-Da - a simultaneous parry and hit! Not to mention the 1 inch punch and Sticking Hands energy manipulation, etc. These elements were fresh off the boat and just happened to be from one of the newest, high tech martial arts to evolve in China in the last 3000 years.

The top Karate guys he met in the US were shocked and amazed at what this pint-sized Chinese kid could do. He had tremendous intensity, power and technique that shocked and captured the imagination of the key players in the martial arts community and later the world. Countless millions of kids and adults alike would find themselves showing up at the dojo because of what Bruce could transmit with his body and personality through the movie screen. Lee opened the door for asians in western television and movies for the first time ever - but most of all he started a revolution that is still feeding off his magnetic energy.

Some 40 years later many 'modern' martial artists are still just beginning to understand the combat theory that Lee taught. Fighting concepts that many a McMartial Art school still out there today could use a refresher course in as many 'modern' schools are still lagging behind this 40 year old 'Lee trend' martial technology.

All this combined with Bruce's presence, personality and all but unmatched dedication to his martial training makes him the 'big deal' and idol that he still is today, 30 years after his death.

Bruce may not have been the best martial artist in the world but very few could ever hope to make the kind of impact in the arts - word wide - that Bruce did in his all too short 33 year life. RIP

Jim
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: