Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MadDOG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am bothering you people by asking for some advice after having only signed in as a new member yesterday. So...I offer my apologie's for that one.

After reading most of all your post's, I get this idea that I'm an 'ole dinosaur compared to most of you people (been around the block a few time's and still going). So...if any of you feel the need to call me "grandpa", just go ahead. I won't mind

I'm a 50 year old T2 diabetic (being diagnosed in January of 1999). Other than that, I'm in fairly decent health. However, my doctor wants to bring the HDL cholesterol (the GOOD cholesterol) up to a higher level just to combat any difficultie's that might occur as I get older. He says the best way to do this, in conjunction with a good diet, is a hard strenuous exercise (sport). Starting slowly at first of course.

Since I'm to old to play football (American) and baseball as I used to do when I was younger, I immediately thought about going back into the Martial Art's. But having been "out of it" for so long, I'm not really sure which style would be suitable for me anymore, allowing for my age.

I consider myself fairly fit and I attribute that to the fact that I played football all my life (from my 7th year up to my 30th year); was in the US Military (Army) for 13 year's attached to the ACSOI from 72-83 with most of my assignment's being "in and then out immediately" of the Far East and having been involved in Martial Art's it has always been of special interest to me (I never acquired any belt's or rank's or anything like that because I was always moving around too much, so don't think you're talking to a Bruce Lee aspirant here, ok?) It's just that what little bit of training I did have felt good while doing it and I always felt good about myself. The last training I did was back in 1985.

My question to you all is the following. What style would some of you recommend that I get into to get back into condition and stay medically fit (physically, mentally and spritually)? I don't want a style where I will have to "spar" with any young "whipper-snapper's" (although I'm sure I could hold my own pretty well) or have to compete in any tournament's to advance forward. I really don't have the time for that. What with my business, I'm sure I could spare 2-3 evening's a week, 2-3 hour's each training and maybe two Sunday afternoon's a month for the training. There are a few option's available to me here in Europe where I live. Those being: Wing Chun, Akido, Shaolin Kempo, and Tai Chi. A few minute's walk from here is also the possibility to enroll in, what the Dutch call, Black Eagle Karate, which as I am able to understand is a "mixture" of about 5 different style's (I'm considering enrolling my little 9 year old daughter in that one). Other that the above that's about all the possibilitie's that exist around where I live.

If any of you have any suggestion's or need more info to better make a suggestion, please contact me at you convenience. All help and advice with this is most GREATLY appreciated.

In closing, so far I am enjoying this board very much and intend to stick around for quite awhile. I am a member of several FxP board's and all I see on those is hatred and animosity towards each other. Something I fail to see here in this board, which if refreshing, to say the least. So...everyone keep up the good work and I will do everything I can to contribute as well.

Take care all and

Greeeetz

[ This Message was edited by: MadDOG on 2001-10-05 01:13 ]

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MADDOG......welcome to karateforums. your question is by no means a bother. very nice of you to open up to us and give us some of your very interesting background.
i am one of the few members here that could most likely have that same tag applied to me. i am 46 years young, so it is nice to see another mature member join us in our discussions.
as for your question, i first would recommend that you visit each school and see what they have to offer. talk with the instructor/instructors. express the same questions you have ask here. see what kind of students attend and talk to other mature students there, if any.
from what i can tell from your post, good recommendations would be tae chi, wing chun, and/or akido. but the most important thing is that you find something you are comfortable with and develope a good repore with the instructor of whichever style you choose.
again welcome to karate forums and i look forward to your insights and views on the topics that we and you offer.................

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what iamrushman posted above^ ... by no means a bother...that is why we are all here!

On to your question....first I hope you're not a smoker. . Smoking damages the walls of the blood vessels and makes it easier for plaque to form there. It also can lower your "good" HDL by as much as 15%. Lack of exercise can also lower the HDL. Aerobic exercise, which increases your breathing and uses your big muscles, is one way to increase your HDL. Even 30-45 minutes of brisk walking every other day helps to protect your heart. Too much body weight lowers HDL, increases LDL and triglycerides, and makes you more at risk for heart disease. Losing just 5 or 10 pounds can improve the levels of fat in your blood. So I don't know whether you need to lose weight or not.
It is very important to keep your weight and your blood sugar under control and to have a complete blood lipid profile done once a year.
As age increases, so does the level of LDL, the "bad" cholesterol. Up until about age 45, men usually have higher levels of total cholesterol than women do. Women up to this age also have higher amounts of HDL, the "good" cholesterol. ( Nah nah nana Nah!
:pony: sorry...had to add that...I'm a bit of a smart *!)
Now no more crying in your beer! Too much alcohol raises blood pressure causing damage to the blood vessels and puts stress on the liver, which can result in high cholesterol. Alcohol is also high in calories, but low in any nutrition, so it is bad for weight control.
As far as getting back into a martial art....try a class --- if you are getting a good workout (which is what you are aiming for) than that is you're choice. If you are in fairly good shape than I needn't worry about your age ... yes, start off slow... don't freak out your heart!!! I think you have some good choices there...good luck and keep us "posted" !!!

Deby

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-10-05 06:37 ]

MadDOG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-05 04:50, iamrushman wrote:
MADDOG......welcome to karateforums. your question is by no means a bother. very nice of you to open up to us and give us some of your very interesting background.
i am one of the few members here that could most likely have that same tag applied to me. i am 46 years young, so it is nice to see another mature member join us in our discussions.
as for your question, i first would recommend that you visit each school and see what they have to offer. talk with the instructor/instructors. express the same questions you have ask here. see what kind of students attend and talk to other mature students there, if any.
from what i can tell from your post, good recommendations would be tae chi, wing chun, and/or akido. but the most important thing is that you find something you are comfortable with and develope a good repore with the instructor of whichever style you choose.
again welcome to karate forums and i look forward to your insights and views on the topics that we and you offer.................

Thnx for the reply. Tai Chi and Wing Chun were the two I were also thinking about. Did a bit of research on those two, and so far they seem like the best choice's for me. From what I've seen, Aikido isn't that appealing to me. It's a personal thing I guess, but for me it's too much "bodily" contact.

Again thnx and

Greeetz

MadDOG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-05 06:34, KickChick wrote:
Ditto to what iamrushman posted above^ ... by no means a bother...that is why we are all here!

On to your question....first I hope you're not a smoker. . Smoking damages the walls of the blood vessels and makes it easier for plaque to form there. It also can lower your "good" HDL by as much as 15%. Lack of exercise can also lower the HDL. Aerobic exercise, which increases your breathing and uses your big muscles, is one way to increase your HDL. Even 30-45 minutes of brisk walking every other day helps to protect your heart. Too much body weight lowers HDL, increases LDL and triglycerides, and makes you more at risk for heart disease. Losing just 5 or 10 pounds can improve the levels of fat in your blood. So I don't know whether you need to lose weight or not.
It is very important to keep your weight and your blood sugar under control and to have a complete blood lipid profile done once a year.
As age increases, so does the level of LDL, the "bad" cholesterol. Up until about age 45, men usually have higher levels of total cholesterol than women do. Women up to this age also have higher amounts of HDL, the "good" cholesterol. ( Nah nah nana Nah!
:pony: sorry...had to add that...I'm a bit of a smart *!)
Now no more crying in your beer! Too much alcohol raises blood pressure causing damage to the blood vessels and puts stress on the liver, which can result in high cholesterol. Alcohol is also high in calories, but low in any nutrition, so it is bad for weight control.
As far as getting back into a martial art....try a class --- if you are getting a good workout (which is what you are aiming for) than that is you're choice. If you are in fairly good shape than I needn't worry about your age ... yes, start off slow... don't freak out your heart!!! I think you have some good choices there...good luck and keep us "posted" !!!

Deby

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-10-05 06:37 ]</font>

You appear to be well versed in the health area. That's good.

I'll give you a brief idea of my lifestyle. Rather mundane...but that's me. And yes I do intend to make a hell of a lot of change's. What with a little nine year old daughter, I want to live long enough to watch her grow into a young mother and enjoy those aspect's of her life.

I'm pretty much a "crature-of-habit", so to speak. Although I do smoke, I smoke exactly 6 small cigar's within any 24 hour period and small one's at that (the cigarillo thingy's). I know that even one puff of tobacco is unhealthy but I haven't been a heavy smoker during my life, even while in the military. My alcohol consumption...I drink two beer's each evening from Sunday-Thursday and never before 10.30 p.m. in the evening. On Friday-Saturday evening's I dring exactly 3 beer's. Never any hard liquor, even at the good old Dutch birthday get-together's.

My sugar is very much under control. So much so that the doctor wanted to retest me twoce to make sure that I was in fact a diabetic. I am "controlled" every 3 month's by the tech's and a "BIG" check-up once a year with a check on the cholesterol every 6 month's. I watch my diet like a hawk, especially the carb's, albeit I'm a (was) a spaghetti and pizza freak (never really that much into Mac's and Burger King's). And take med's three time's a day at a total of 1500mg's.

Cholesterol's been tested three time's over the past 18 month's and each time the test's came back with an "average" cholesterol reading with my LDL being extremely satisfactory (doc's own word's - not mine). It's just that the doc want's to get the HDL up a little higher to narrow the gap so to speak.

Although I'm not over-weight (79 kilo's) the doc want's me to take off about 3-5 kilo's just to be safe. I'm 5'9" tall.

So...that was it I guess. Just a reminder...in the future don't get me started talking because I have a tendancy to not shut-up. I've actually talked my wife to sleep on several occassion's She say's I'm like a long-winded Baptist preacher on a hot sunday afternoon. Amen bother's and sister's...hahahhah.

Ok...take care and thnx for lending an ear.

Greeeeetz

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do try to be informed...I read alot and it was part of my fitness certification.
It seems that you are not over weight at all ... (however I never really understood the whole kilo thing...only measure my drugs that way! ) I measure by the pound as I do my chocolates!) We can always lose another 10 pounds but it seems that those 10 pounds are always harder to lose!
Everything in moderation .. I too enjoy one of those skinny cigars on occasion....and I love beer...Yay! Oktoerfest time!!! But moderation is key!
I had gestational diabetes with my pregnancy and know some about it.....keep it in check like you seem to be doing and you'll be just fine!
Deby

MadDOG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...unless somebody's got any other suggestion's, I think I know what I'm gonna try and do. Gonna check out the Tai Chi and Wing Chun and see which one suit's me the best. Probably end up getting my butt kicked by those young guy's and gal's, expecially once they see an 'ole fart like me joining in, but what the hell...won't be the first time that I've taken a licking

Thnx to all who have helped me with this. Take care and

Greeetz to all

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MADDOG....good luck on your quest.....i'm sure everything will work out........it seems you have a handle on the situation........ ..... oh and stick around for a while the funs about to start.......

KICKCHICK..i said this before..your going to win my heart...."small cigars and beer".....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MadDOG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh and stick around for a while the funs about to start.......

Stick around for awhile because the funs about to start...??? Sounds interesting...what's life without a little bit of fun. Count me in.

Greeetz

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also reccomend tai chi and wing chun, but you should remember that although in the long term these may help your health, they wont provide the strenuous excersise your doctor is reccomending. Personally, I would reccomend joining a gym, where you can choose what level of excersise you want, or get a personal trainer. Also there will be dedicated medical staff around to help you incase of a problem, which is not gaurranteed (did i spell that right?) at a martial arts class.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: