Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do in this choke situation? Reply with quote

JiuJitsuNation wrote:
Close your eyes for a moment. Not yet, read this first. lol Picture two individuals, one standing before another who is kneeling. The standing figure has hands wrapped firmly around the others throat. The kneeling individual grasping at the others hands and gasping for breath.

How would you respond to this situation?

How do I get out? In any way that I can!! The key for me, is that panic/fear are a real emotion, to such a point, that those emotions can freeze a person to do nothing at the onslaught, then it might be to late to do anything effective.

Mizu No Kokoro and Tsuki No Kokoro are principles that can help to eliminate the panic/fear emotion. It's not an easy concept to master because we humans are afraid of the unknown. Drills of Mizu and Tsuki are allowing a person to cope with panic/fear.

Eliminating the cooperative Uke is vital in training the MA. I'm no stranger to grabbing one of my students by surprising them, then telling that student to GET OUT anyway they can, and meanwhile, I'm doing all that I can to resist their counters. When I see that they can't get out....I let go. Now comes the time to teach!!

In the previous paragraph, my students have been taught a plethora of ways to escape from a plethora of chokes. Thereafter, a student and myself could just be standing around talking about one thing or another, and then I'll attack, a choke in this situation, now my student at first will show that panic/fear because it was "unexpected". But after having Mizu and Tsuki drilled into them over and over and over, there reactions are more positive and away from surrendering themselves to their attacker.

Success doesn't always come to those who do nothing. Therefore, DO SOMETHING!! Taking the timid out of my students must be one of my main goals as their instructor. Being passive might have its merits, but being timid has no merits, imho. My students must WANT to hit, claw, bite, scratch and/or anything, no matter how traumatic that "vision" might be to that student.

I didn't originate the following saying..."Kill or be killed", but it says enough and I want my students to realize that they better do something before it's to late for them. However, I don't want my students to become overly complacent with anything that I teach them because that overly complacency works in reverse....keep an even keel.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, if you lived nearby, we would take field trips to your place. I like your way of thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: