Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: What would you do in this choke situation? Reply with quote

Close your eyes for a moment. Not yet, read this first. lol Picture two individuals, one standing before another who is kneeling. The standing figure has hands wrapped firmly around the others throat. The kneeling individual grasping at the others hands and gasping for breath.

How would you respond to this situation?

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle the guy pro-football style?

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding you correctly, the standing guy is in front of the kneeing guy and has his hands around the kneeling guys throat?

If so, then his balance is WAY forward because he has to bend over at the waist to get his hands around the others throat. I can't see anybody doing this...to awkward and unnatural.

But anyway, in the given scenerio, I'd probably:
1. lean backwards and kick the guys knees out from under him, or...
2. groin strike with my hand, or...
3. lean back and kick to his groin, or...
4. grab his arm, spin so my back was to him and launch him over my head to the floor, or...
5. lean back ans sweep his legs out, or...
6. his torso is totally exposed and open for any sort of punch you ants to give him.

That's all that comes to mine in 60 seconds...there are others.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on who I am. If I'm the choker, i step around and take the back to finish the choke.

If I'm on bottom, I swivel my knees below me and swivel for the armbar. Or I could base a hand back and stand backward in base, bring my arm through the extended arms of the opponent and get head control and execute a hip throw (assuming the weight is still coming toward me). There are just a ton of options here... that's just a few.

If I'm the observer, I guess it really depends on the situation. Do I know anyone involved? I'm not necessarily willing to get in between two guys fighting. Especially since I don't necessarily know the situation. But if I decide to take action I'm going to peel the choker away from the coked by turning his neck. If I drive him into the choked, it may cause more harm than good.

Out of curiosity, what brings on this question?

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of those cheesy ads in Black Belt actually. Tim Larkins', maybe?

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He posted it exactly to see what people would say. Most martial artists would say they're they're person being choked, and this is what they'd do. I remember hearing this done at a seminar or something before. All the people they asked talked about getting out of the choke, no one talked about how to maintain the choke. It was done to show that most people are very passive in self defense and not proactive.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok everyone. I asked because it shows that the majority of people have a victim mentality. It was done to me when I was younger and I viewed myself as the person being attacked. I have more but it will take a minute to post. I'll do it after my morning classes.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back. I just got to thinking about this because of things I've seen in other topics. Everything ranging from fears of being jumped by grapplers to not rushing in to avoid a front kick! I don't see any of these scenarios as likely. Now if you are hanging out at clubs where you might have some rowdy mma cats, sure. There are three big schools in my area and all of them (regardless of reputation for having them or not) have some guys that go out, get drunk and can't seem to contain their egos. But on an ordinary day? The odds are in your favor you won't.

Many people think self defense and fighting are two different things. Of course they are not. The only difference is the legality in terms. We are allowed to defend ourselves, but we are not allowed to fight. Legal stuff. In a fight you will maintain your space control your area and blahzay e blahzay. Footwork, jab, shoot, counter and on and on. We know this and can contribute to the convo all day.
I think the difference is the mindset. Most mentalities are "I hope I never." Few few have an "I wish they would."Not to say that these types are looking to fight or cause trouble, but rather welcomes the opportunity. Fewer are built for this mentality.
I tend to look to the animal kingdom on what is consistently correct. You can watch a silver back gorilla from the tree line. He sits in the clearing eating his food with his females and his young. You can look but don't disturb him in his natural habit. If you do he will not hesitate to smash you and eat you. Just because he can.

I also believe very strongly in this quote:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live, i will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

May be a little harsh for some but I look forward to the feedback.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:

He posted it exactly to see what people would say. . . . It was done to show that most people are very passive in self defense and not proactive.

JiuJitsuNation wrote:

Ok everyone. I asked because it shows that the majority of people have a victim mentality.

How is presenting this to people who are interested in self-defense to the point that they're training, or have trained, to defend themselves valid to conclude "passive" or "victim mentality"? I wouldn't even consider doing what appears in the scenario as strangling someone.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the point. The point was which person did everyone view themselves as. It's not even debatable because only the individual really knows in their heart how they viewed themselves. It was an eye opener for me. Just thought someone else would find it enlightening as well.

And of course you wouldn't you have trained. But a scenario where someone is choked to death may start just like this. Which is why the image disturbs most people.

I show my students chokes and joints locks everyday and the first question I am always asked is what???
Could someone answer this question for me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: