Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

amolao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: what would you do? Reply with quote

start at a tang soo do dojang 5 days a week for $75 or train in judo 3 times a week for $85

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way that's a lot of money! Think of the long term financial hit and give each one a trial, maybe look for similar MA with cheaper rates.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, assuming he's in the US those are pretty good deals. $75 a month is probably about average for 3 times a week. Most places around here are $95+.

amolao-- What is it your want out of martial arts? Tang Soo Do is a striking art-- kicks, punches, blocks, etc; while Judo is a grappling art-- throws, holds, escapes, etc (like wrestling only you slam the person to the ground first [and you get slammed to the ground a lot]). Depending on your budget, $10 a month isn't a huge difference in price and, especially at the beginning, you probably only want to train 3 days a week max to avoid injury and burnout, so the extra 2 days TSD presents, while offering nice flexible options, probably shouldn't get used all that often.

I'd recommend seeing if they both offer free trial lessons (they should) and take advantage of those before you make a decision.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would train at whichever one has better instruction and a better atmosphere for me, personally. To figure out which one that is, you'll have to visit both and try out classes at both. As Lupin1 said, those are both good deals for most of the US--that many classes costs over $100/month on average, in my area. To figure out if the classes are worth the cost, though, you really have to visit and try classes.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's bonkers! I will never complain about our fees for classes again! I know that there is an exchange factor in the currency and you can't really compare the cost of living with the UK, but it sounds crazy. 4 hours a week of Aikido costs me £40 a month. Our gradings are twice a year at £10 each and insurance costs £10 a year. That's it, I think we are very lucky.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Actually, assuming he's in the US those are pretty good deals. $75 a month is probably about average for 3 times a week. Most places around here are $95+.

amolao-- What is it your want out of martial arts? Tang Soo Do is a striking art-- kicks, punches, blocks, etc; while Judo is a grappling art-- throws, holds, escapes, etc (like wrestling only you slam the person to the ground first [and you get slammed to the ground a lot]). Depending on your budget, $10 a month isn't a huge difference in price and, especially at the beginning, you probably only want to train 3 days a week max to avoid injury and burnout, so the extra 2 days TSD presents, while offering nice flexible options, probably shouldn't get used all that often.

I'd recommend seeing if they both offer free trial lessons (they should) and take advantage of those before you make a decision.

This is what you should Base your decision. What do you want to learn and what do you want to get out of it? Also it is an absolute must that you go meet with the instructors, spend a bit of time in each class and get a feel for the school before you decide. How well you connect with the instructor should be a big deciding factor.

With regards to price.. Seems to be in line with what I currently pay.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone curious: $75 to $85 = £47.72 to £54.08 (XE)

Though, certainly, if you are in one country, it really doesn't matter what it costs to do the martial arts in another country, unless you plan to move there.

Great answer, Devin!

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you do? Reply with quote

amolao wrote:
start at a tang soo do dojang 5 days a week for $75 or train in judo 3 times a week for $85

Quantity pales against quality, imho. If it was me, I'd jump at the opportunity to train in judo because, imho, every MAist needs to learn how to work on the ground! TSD will still be there, when the time is right!!

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find some videos on youtube about the two arts and see what you like more. Also Ask aroun about both schools, and mayby try a free lesson to learn something about both school.

amolao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a school were the instructor combines muy thai, Bjj, Taekwando, and krav maga its 3 times a week so it comes to $180 a month I noticed when I visited thee were only 3 students training. would you guys find this to expensive? thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: