Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of kobudo I would say the sai.. no reason why really, just always the one I have leaned to...

if we are talking about weapons in general then thats easy, the Katana! hands down, nothing else even comes close

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oshishinobu wrote:
the foot work starts in a loose kokutsudachi and you transition into a leaning zenkutsu to strike.

this is exaclty what i did in the video with the sword.

funny thing is that when i read of katana practitioning kobudokas here i remembered my old trainer who is kobudoka too and trained in swords and wanted to ask him, in what context he learned that and read a few days ago that his club will start kenjutsu now in march.
so the question is answered and i will rejoin my former club, not for karate but for kenjutsu.

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
Oshishinobu wrote:
the foot work starts in a loose kokutsudachi and you transition into a leaning zenkutsu to strike.

this is exaclty what i did in the video with the sword.

funny thing is that when i read of katana practitioning kobudokas here i remembered my old trainer who is kobudoka too and trained in swords and wanted to ask him, in what context he learned that and read a few days ago that his club will start kenjutsu now in march.
so the question is answered and i will rejoin my former club, not for karate but for kenjutsu.

OSU! Cool brother, that sounds awesome. it feel so good to have a sword in you hands. TAlk about an extension of your body!

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if hapkido uses tonfa too?
i saw all kinds of weapons there, okinawan and chinese, but never the well-known tonfa, every policeman wears.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodo Komodo wrote:
Sai, they complement kata wonderfully, develop strong wrists and arms, feel so natural to use and are useful for after training snacks of really big corn.

Or toasted marshmallows.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are nice ideas.

by the way does anyone have experience with the boomerang?
i plan to practice a little bit but except of some cheap toy boomerangs in the youth i haven't really tried before.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I favor Arnis Sticks because of their functionality and ability to use anything that you find on the ground for a self defense situation.

I like most of the kobudo weapons that you commonly use, but for me not many schools teach it due to various laws here in Australia or because of the relevance it may have in todays society where those weapons aren't commonplace.
It doesn't mean that I don't like them, but for me to learn weapons they should be teaching the old but also with the new.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
but for me to learn weapons they should be teaching the old but also with the new.

i agree!
since you're from australia, do you have experience with the boomerang? it may not be useful for self-defense but at additional weapons training it may be fun.

Martial Matt
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Southern Kung-Fu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
but for me to learn weapons they should be teaching the old but also with the new.

i agree!
since you're from australia, do you have experience with the boomerang? it may not be useful for self-defense but at additional weapons training it may be fun.

Do you mean a boomerang or Kylie? A boomerang is usually weighted equally and the limbs are the same length so they will return. The primary use of a boomerang is a toy. A Kylie is akin to our American rabbit stick. They were used by the Aborigines for digging, clubbing and throwing. The Kylie is heavier on one end and doesn't come back when you throw them.

Martial Matt
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Southern Kung-Fu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a favorite weapon, that's a tough one! Knives are difficult to beat as they have utility value. With a knife, you have a weapon that can also be used to make other weapons and do necessary chores. The Jo staff is a close second as it represents something I can actually pack around daily. Nobody thinks it odd to have a walking stick while out walking the dog or hiking. Can't say people would respond well to seeing anyone sporting a katana though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: