Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
I tend to be a bit of a Lichtenaur junkie. My preferred source is Ringeck, but I have done enough Fiori to have some respect for it.

I've got some of the reproduced fechtbuchs. Love them. Absolutely love them. If I had a place to train around here, I'd do it.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I tend to be a bit of a Lichtenaur junkie. My preferred source is Ringeck, but I have done enough Fiori to have some respect for it.

I've got some of the reproduced fechtbuchs. Love them. Absolutely love them. If I had a place to train around here, I'd do it.

Well, if you ever get down to Wichita, look up a guy named Robert Trudeau. He is a former training partner of mine.
Also look up a guy named Chris Holzman, probably the best military saber guy I have ever known.

I am unaware of any HEMA specific groups in Hays, but also look in to your local SCA group. At the very least you will find sparring partners there.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For traditional martial arts weapons my favorite would be the katana, the samurai sword.

I also like european broadswords and great swords but those aren't from the traditional martial arts of the far east.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's not as common as others, HEMA is a Western martial art.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEMA is becoming more common, though! If you like it, I suggest checking out a meet up site. It seems to be pretty common to advertise HEMA on these sites. I do wish it was more widespread. It's some of the most fun you can have doing martial arts.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

conrad665
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Ashihara Karate, Judo, Iaido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo has become my favourite weapon starting from the moment I laid my hands on it. I haven't started learning jou yet, practiced it once or twice, but I'm looking forward to learning some jo kata in the near future.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two traditional weapons I’ve trained are the bo and nunchucku. I really like the nunchucku at first but I got bored with it relatively quickly. I loved the bo. I say loved because I haven’t used one in quite some time. My organization doesn’t do kobudo until shodan.

Two that have always fascinated me (since I first saw them anyway) are the eku (oar) and the naginata. I’ve seen a handful of eku kata (though I’ve seen them many times) and have always been impressed. I’ve seen a few naginata katas in videos but haven’t seen anyone use the weapon in person.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stick is my weapon of choice.

A stick or something similar, recruited as a weapon, are easy to find in cities and in the wilderness, at no cost, that when broken can be replaced without waiting for a shop to open.

As it can be used in a variety of ways, with a little imagination practing can change from a stick to sword to a bass ball bat or anything else that can swing around effectively, such as a knife or machete.

Also swinging and striking combined with foot movements with a stick, can be helpful towards improving coordination with empty hand techniques.

Pointing the weapon at all times at the opponent for instance with a knife also carries over to empty hand techniques as I feel as if all of my human weapons such as feet, hands knees elbows are directed at the opponent.

Bo or stick practice can change from striking hitting movements to cutting edge slicing and piercing in an instant.

Where functional bo self defence practice can change into weapons displays as fancy as they are, the coordination and skill required does give a certain amount of satisfaction and pleasure in the moment.

The are of course health benefits to swinging sticks around in a variety of different ways that helps with coordination and agility, articulating joints, breathing exercises, for the mind by focusing on energy concepts, also using distance and understanding reference points, allowing for many positive reasons for practing regularly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Well, if you ever get down to Wichita, look up a guy named Robert Trudeau. He is a former training partner of mine.
Also look up a guy named Chris Holzman, probably the best military saber guy I have ever known.

I am unaware of any HEMA specific groups in Hays, but also look in to your local SCA group. At the very least you will find sparring partners there.

No HEMA in Hays, and we used to have and SCA group, and we sparred often, but it all folded up, and the nearest group that actually met to do things was abuut an hour and a half drive away.

I haven't checked the ARMA website lately, but I need to, to see if there are any new books they are recommending.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

No HEMA in Hays, and we used to have and SCA group, and we sparred often, but it all folded up, and the nearest group that actually met to do things was abuut an hour and a half drive away.

I haven't checked the ARMA website lately, but I need to, to see if there are any new books they are recommending.

Jesus. I just looked it up. You are FAR from everything out there in Hays. The nearest school to you that I am aware of is over in Manhattan and that is what like 2 - 2.5 hours away?

If you are interested, we could arrange to do a seminar or event for you and whoever you like locally. Try and get something up and running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: