Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: When Change Is A Must!! Reply with quote

I've placed this topic here because I believe that it's relevant to MA CI's more than they might realize. Not every CI has a regular source of income outside of their respective school of the MA...like me.

I've never known any other source of income outside of being a CI and/or the SKKA. The MA is all that I've ever known. I've been blessed with a quite fruitful, income through my MA career, whether it be as the CI of my dojo/retail MA supply store, income through the SKKA, and/or through conducting seminars.

What if I only had the SKKA or just my dojo, and I had either of them taken away from me?? What would I do?? What company would be interested in someone with my particular skill sets??

My separation as President of the SKKA, while it being unfortunate, it was also equally important, albeit, intentionally planned. When I authored the new SKKA By-Laws, I wrote in the Kaicho (President) and Kancho (Vice-President) Redundancy Clause, of which, the entire Executive Leadership Team would be abolished once the SKKA posted substantial positive revenue growth stream consistently for five (5) years; that time has passed, inasmuch, that time is now. Therefore, the Board is the Leadership Team of the SKKA effective December 31, 2018 Midnight.

What would I put on a resume??

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When Change Is A Must!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've placed this topic here because I believe that it's relevant to MA CI's more than they might realize. Not every CI has a regular source of income outside of their respective school of the MA...like me.

I've never known any other source of income outside of being a CI and/or the SKKA. The MA is all that I've ever known. I've been blessed with a quite fruitful, income through my MA career, whether it be as the CI of my dojo/retail MA supply store, income through the SKKA, and/or through conducting seminars.

What if I only had the SKKA or just my dojo, and I had either of them taken away from me?? What would I do?? What company would be interested in someone with my particular skill sets??

My separation as President of the SKKA, while it being unfortunate, it was also equally important, albeit, intentionally planned. When I authored the new SKKA By-Laws, I wrote in the Kaicho (President) and Kancho (Vice-President) Redundancy Clause, of which, the entire Executive Leadership Team would be abolished once the SKKA posted substantial positive revenue growth stream consistently for five (5) years; that time has passed, inasmuch, that time is now. Therefore, the Board is the Leadership Team of the SKKA effective December 31, 2018 Midnight.

What would I put on a resume??

Regarding your Kaicho role...
President of a company consisting of however many customers
Writing policy and overseeing the implementation of said policies
Presiding over board meetings
Liason between the board and legal department
Ensuring the protection and integrity of the brand

Stuff like that

Regarding owning your own dojo...
Well, everything major that goes into running your own business:
Accounting
Legal
Supervisory
Marketing
What you started with and where you took it, financially speaking

Stuff like that

Really think about your roles off the floor and think about how they’d be viewed by whatever target employer and position you’re interested in. If you’re looking for a marketing position, highlight the growth of your dojo and how you advertised it. Talk about the effective and creative ways you got your dojo into the consciousness of non-MAists. Who am nd how you targeted a specific demographic and why.

Same for any other position - PR, finance, HR, et al. Being a small business owner, you do it all.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be apart of this board?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Will you be apart of this board?

No; I've not been part of the Board since I was elected Kaicho in 2008.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: