Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious--when do the various arts start their students on weapons? I know that in Kuk Sool Won, I've never seen anyone below brown-black touch a staff or sword, but a friend of mine who started Aikido this term was handed a sword almost immediately.

[ This Message was edited by: tessone on 2002-04-28 21:26 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We start our weapons training at the intermediate level which is at purple belt. However, other styles may start them earlier or much later. I've seen it done both ways.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What art do you study?

I think it makes sense that only the advanced students (the black belts) work with weapons. I have enough to think about just trying to study weaponless techniques and forms with needing to worry about sword kata and defenses against knife attacks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our students start with weapons at the 1st class - and use them at every class after that

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did basic stick fighting from the start.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach weapons as a seperate MA (Okinawan Kobudo), so theorectically you can be a total beginner when you first pick up a staff.

We have a range of kobudo students - ranging from a 2nd dan in TKD and a 2nd dan in Shukokai, to a girl who has been training in karate for about 1 1/2 months.

You do have an advantage if you 'know' karate, but basically........I decide whether I think you are competant enough to start.

Right, I think thats a good enough babble..

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessone,

I study Kempo Karate. In regards to learning weapons. Like Tobias Reece does it he trains weapons separately from everything else. This is how I learn them and teach them as well.

Most our weapons are the traditional kobudo type weapons, sais, nunchucks, bo, etc. As such we have katas for each weapon. What has helped me in my training is video taping myself doing a kata whether it's a weapon/or weaponless kata. I then prepare my own notes, and mark in there the stress points of the kata. For example, fast here, slow with breath there, hip rotation for power, whipping motion, etc.

As far as your level of training and experience when it comes to weapons training, take it slow until you get comfortable with whatever weapon you start out with. Just food for thought!!

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In shi-to ryu kobudo is incorprated into the system . We usually start people with the bo around rokyu (blue belt) and progress from there to tonfa nunchaku sai and kama the later is not taught till around Shodan .
The reason some Akido schools will hand some one a boken early in the teaching is becaus it si a sword realated art . Most of the techniques are from Kenjutsu.

Ryukyu kobudo

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I had been training in karate for about 9 months to a year before I began kobudo training. In my school weapons are taught as a seperate class and students must be of 8th kyu rank to start and have sensei's permission. We start with the bo and rotate sai, nunchaku and tonfa every year.

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to start my students with weapons only after they have shown that they understand how to use their body as a weapon. This may vary from student to student. I see it that why would I hand a gun to a child that cannot use the bathroom by themself. If a student shows control over their own body they are then ready, but I do not force them to study a weapon. Some students have no desire to learn, but if a student shows a unique gift with a weapon I will encourage them to pursue it further and I offer personal instruction.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: