Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: When Did You... Reply with quote

...know that you'd never ever want to defend yourself, for real, against your Sensei/Instructor??

Mine was when Dai-Soke was being tested for his Nandan; I was a fledging Shodan, when I was a mere 18 years old.

Soke put Dai-Soke, he was the Kaicho at the time, through some paces, and I don't mean normal paces, but as though Soke was trying to brake Dai-Soke's spirit. Soke was always much more harder and harsh with Dai-Soke in anything and in everything on and off the floor, but they both respected and loved each other.

"Once again!!" barked Soke at Dai-Soke...over and over and over. Testing Cycles are strict and quite involving for anybody, and they're suppose to be difficult and unyielding, but what Soke required of Dai-Soke that day, was barbaric. Nothing pleased Soke...NOTHING!!

Soke pushed Dai-Soke to the brink of Hades, and back. Day after day, for four grueling days, Soke forced Dai-Soke to his resolve. Whenever Dai-Soke was pushed that far and hard, he'd reach very deep into his own soul, and strived for his own resolve.

It's as though he separated himself from himself in the hopes of surviving the ordeal. He no longer wanted to pass the Testing Cycle, but in his eyes I could see that he just wanted to survive. Not to just survive, that had no more meaning, but to not give into Soke's demons.

Dai-Soke survived the Testing Cycle, but failed. Not until the third time, two years later, from this very particular Testing Cycle, did he finally earn his Nanadan.

Dai-Soke's eyes pooled in such a manner, that Soke was once again, afraid of Dai-Soke because of Dai-Soke's cold resolve. Soke pushed Dai-Soke once before like that, and as it was back then, it was the same that day...Soke feared Dai-Soke!! But Soke still failed Dai-Soke. Each Testing Cycle, Soke pushed Dai-Soke far much harder, and if one didn't know them both, they'd swear that Soke hated Dai-Soke, but that was never the case.

I knew what we witnessed that day, that I'd never ever want to fight Dai-Soke for real!! I felt that way up to the day he passed away!! Don't misunderstand me, I'd fight him for real, if I had no other choice, but I'd not favor the outcome; I'd win the battle, but Dai-Soke would win the war, if you get my meaning.

Once again...

When did you know that you'd never ever want to defend yourself, for real, against your Sensei/Instructor??

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that from the first time I met him. In the unrealistic realm of having to defend myself from him: I want lots of distance, and a gun. I try not to hold unrealistic views.

But, I was not a kid when I met him. I was 38.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried the wonderment of a child when I first meet Dai-Soke, and that's because I was a child of only 7 years old. Albeit, I carried that same wonderment into my adulthood with a gauged tempered, but with the highest measure of respect, but never fear because Dai-Soke wasn't that type of Sensei.

I knew right from the start that whatever it was that he possessed, I didn't have it!!

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I could defeat my chief instructor with minimal effort. That's just one of many reasons why I'm looking elsewhere.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
I reckon I could defeat my chief instructor with minimal effort. That's just one of many reasons why I'm looking elsewhere.

The many other reasons aside, why does that matter? Someone doesn’t have to be great at it to teach it effectively. Mike Tyson could’ve absolutely destroyed Cus D’Amato and Kevin Rooney. But those guys could watch Tyson, evaluate his strengths and weaknesses, and get him to perform far better. Not to mention coming up with an effective strategy for each opponent. Same can be said for any coach of any sport. The coach doesn’t have to be a great player; he/she has to be a great coach.

My former teacher was one of the best martial artist I’ve ever been around. He was fast, strong, smart, and his technique was as flawless as anyone I’ve been around. But what good would that do if he couldn’t teach me? It wouldn’t do much more than entertain me. He was a very good teacher too, but that’s besides the point.

My current teacher has some physical impairments. He needs yet another hip replacement, but is putting it off for as long as he can. Needless to say he can’t kick very well and he’s not very mobile. I’ve only sparred with him once, and there was no question in my mind why he’s a 7th dan. He was very crafty. My former sensei was significantly better physically than my current teacher. But my current teacher is a far better teacher - he’s seen my flaws and given me far better feedback and corrections. He’s made me a far better karateka. My former teacher was no slouch by any means.

The teacher has to be a good teacher. Their own physical skills are irrelevant so long as they can get you to perform your best.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:

The many other reasons aside, why does that matter? Someone doesn’t have to be great at it to teach it effectively. Mike Tyson could’ve absolutely destroyed Cus D’Amato and Kevin Rooney. But those guys could watch Tyson, evaluate his strengths and weaknesses, and get him to perform far better. Not to mention coming up with an effective strategy for each opponent. Same can be said for any coach of any sport. The coach doesn’t have to be a great player; he/she has to be a great coach.

My former teacher was one of the best martial artist I’ve ever been around. He was fast, strong, smart, and his technique was as flawless as anyone I’ve been around. But what good would that do if he couldn’t teach me? It wouldn’t do much more than entertain me. He was a very good teacher too, but that’s besides the point.

My current teacher has some physical impairments. He needs yet another hip replacement, but is putting it off for as long as he can. Needless to say he can’t kick very well and he’s not very mobile. I’ve only sparred with him once, and there was no question in my mind why he’s a 7th dan. He was very crafty. My former sensei was significantly better physically than my current teacher. But my current teacher is a far better teacher - he’s seen my flaws and given me far better feedback and corrections. He’s made me a far better karateka. My former teacher was no slouch by any means.

The teacher has to be a good teacher. Their own physical skills are irrelevant so long as they can get you to perform your best.

I agree 100% with all of the above.

Now imagine this scenario. You are being taught a technique. Attacker does this, so defender does this. OK fine. So what if when I'm applying this technique, attacker does this? He won't. Why? Because he's not a martial artist, he's a moron. OK, so what if he throws a punch with his spare hand? He won't. Why? Because you'll take him down before he realises what is happening. What if he's strong, or in the heat of combat I miss the technique? You won't. It will just work.

Imagine hearing that many times.

Then imagine, being picked out to be demonstrated on. You feel a lock going on. You don't like it. Instinctively you escape it without effort. As soon as you do you remember that that you're at the front and lots of people, paying students, are watching. So you slot your arm back in, squeal appropriately, and despite the complete absence of pain, tap the floor frantically just to avoid undermining the teacher.

Imagine this happening many times. Not just once.

If you can imagine all of that, then I'm sure you'll see that while I respect my chief instructor as a person and a fellow martial artist, and am happy to keep going for the camaraderie and the exercise, I'm looking elsewhere for the actual training.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:

I agree 100% with all of the above.

Now imagine this scenario. You are being taught a technique. Attacker does this, so defender does this. OK fine. So what if when I'm applying this technique, attacker does this? He won't. Why? Because he's not a martial artist, he's a moron. OK, so what if he throws a punch with his spare hand? He won't. Why? Because you'll take him down before he realises what is happening. What if he's strong, or in the heat of combat I miss the technique? You won't. It will just work.

Imagine hearing that many times.

Then imagine, being picked out to be demonstrated on. You feel a lock going on. You don't like it. Instinctively you escape it without effort. As soon as you do you remember that that you're at the front and lots of people, paying students, are watching. So you slot your arm back in, squeal appropriately, and despite the complete absence of pain, tap the floor frantically just to avoid undermining the teacher.

Imagine this happening many times. Not just once.

If you can imagine all of that, then I'm sure you'll see that while I respect my chief instructor as a person and a fellow martial artist, and am happy to keep going for the camaraderie and the exercise, I'm looking elsewhere for the actual training.

One might say you're looking for a little more resistance in your training eh?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:

Solid post!!

That, right there, the bold type above...that's why I'm always fond of saying...

"Not all black belts can teach, nor should they try!!" Someone can have all of the MA accolades across the board, and then some, but they can't teach if their live depended on it whatsoever.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sparred my Sensei, and he giggles when he is holding back.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was my 2nd Dan Grading, where he pushed harder than I have ever seen him.

To be honest, I feel like I was broken mentally during that grading. And it was only during the last section where it was Kumite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: