Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: When Instructors train in class Reply with quote

In many of our dojos, we will have instructors that will have the night off and train in your standard class.

As such what do you (regardless of seniority), call them in front of students? For instance you have a 3rd Dan (at my club you are awarded the title of Sensei) coming to train in a Seniors Class which is open to all grades.

What would you call them in class in front of other students?

I ask because a student of mine asked, and it was something that I hadn't thought of in a long time.

Now when I train in such classes, the instructors will generally call me either as Liam or Sempai. depending on who it is and in what context they are addressing me in front of others.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank is rank, up or down, if you train in a system that uses rank to address, then rank it is, irrespective of who is taking the class.
Now, in what order is the "greet" done, if a senior is in the class and not taking it!

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For students in a mixed training session, the general rules of thumb:

1. Is that senior the primary or secondary instructor to you in any other context: If yes, Sensei.
2. Are they simply a senior to you with no other connection: Sempai.
3. Are they assisting in teaching: Sensei.

If your system has sensei awarded as a title at Sandan, then the title remains sensei regardless. As one would use Shihan or Kyoshi if those have been awarded.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With us, for the most part, accordingly to the topic here, we'll address them by their last name, Mr/Mrs Smith, for example. Rank is rank!! Rank isn't any given title, earned and/or bestowed. Therefore, no one is ever addressed by the given title, i.e., Hanshi Smith, or during the days of our Hombu, no one ever addressed me as Kaicho Mitcham while on the floor; only during formal ceremonies.

For us, Godan is when Sensei is given, but never expected!!

In my dojo, any visiting Sensei or above is addressed accordingly by Mr/Mrs with their last name, or Sir/Ma'am. Only In-House assistant instructors are addressed by Sempai with their last name, including any of my Godan and above students. However, if said Godan and above is running said class, then Sensei is proper.

I run a very informal floor in my dojo. My dojo is so informal that I prefer to be addressed by my first name, Bob. I'll speak to any visiting Godan and above in order that I can explain to them how I run my floor. Yes, they raise their eyebrows when they first here one of my students address me by my first name. I suppose they raise their eyebrows because it's not something that they're use to.

I mean, shoot, whenever my Soke and/or Dai-Soke visited my dojo they were not pleased with my informality in my dojo, especially while on the floor. Nonetheless, they warmed up to it, even though they hated it, because it was my dojo, and not theirs to question how I run my dojo.

My Student Body is well aware of how any visiting Godan and above, and any Seniors are to be addressed, and there's no ambiguity in the regards whatsoever.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, it's just Mr. Whatever.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okinawan styles in general tend to have a very informal dojo atmosphere, especially if the head instructor is Okinawan. Even when the dojo is run a instructor of a different background. The rest is left up to the personal vision of whoever is in charge. Personally, the simpler the better. Sensei is called sensei and everyone else whatever they are most comfortable with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: