Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: When's It Too Late!!?? Reply with quote

I was speaking with some of my relatives, namely my dad and my brother. Both quite successful business owners in their own rights. We bounced off idea's off each other, and then they both agreed this...

It's too late to start another Kyuodan Dojo!!

I asked them why is it too late??

Neither of them have trained in the MA, albeit, they've been listing to me about the MA my entire MA journey, these past 5 decades. Both of them believe that I would be doing a disservice to the potential in-coming Student Body because of my age.

I'll be 60 years of age this October.

They both believe that I'd be, on an average, 66 years of age before one of my students ever earn a Shodan...and possibly 70 years of age before that Shodan can earn a Sandan...and possibly 77 years of age before that Sandan can earn a Godan.

I gently reminded them both that training in the MA isn't about rank, but, it's about the knowledge and experience; rank means nothing!!

They both also agree that I've an advantage in the Student Body because I've already earned an preexisting Student Body base from having owned and operated a very successful dojo/retail in Oklahoma.

IF I actually reopen the Kyuodan Dojo...IF!!

My argument to my dad and brother was that I'm also fortunate in already having a GODAN student who can take over the dojo whenever I retire or pass away. The Student Body, present and potential wouldn't have to endure a disservice whatsoever!!

I don't think so!!

I could be wrong!!

I did remind my dad and brother that the Student Body potentiality wouldn't, and shouldn't be of any concern because my present Student Body, when they return, will be of ALL rank levels; white belt to Godan.

So, it's the new potential students that my dad and brother are mostly concerned with, and not the current Student Body.

Is it too late to open another Kyuodan Dojo with me turning 60 years old this October?? And would that be a disservice to those students, new and/or current??

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why age should stop you from opening your dojo again. As you said, the rank isn't really important. Additionally, even if you were to stop teaching some years down the road, before you had a Godan ranked student to take things over, you will still have made an impact on a good number of people. You will have given them training and experience they may otherwise never have had. That's worth it, in my opinion.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid post, Noah; you make great points!!

Can the age of the CI affect potential Students??

I only ask this because, well, I've never been 60 years old before, and I will be this October.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

I only ask this because, well, I've never been 60 years old before, and I will be this October.

If anything it will be more impressive! Were people put off by the ages of your soke and dai-soke?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I would have to cry bull on this one. Age has nothing to do with it. The longer you are in MA the more knowledge you obtain. If that were the case my Shinshii or for that fact his Shinshii couldn't teach.

We all get old and the older we get the smarter we become. Technique trumps strength.

On the few occasions that I was able to learn directly from my teachers Shinshii, I wasn't thinking about how old he was (68 the 1st time and 83 the last). I didn't see age because the old guy could kick my you know what. That and his knowledge of the art far out weighed his age or the potential physical obstacles his age presented.

Technique, knowledge and skill trump youth when it comes to teaching. Your not a professional fighter and nor do you need to be. Your a teacher of the arts. Who would you rather learn from, a 30 year old Sandan or a (insert age above 30 ) old Nanadan? Sure the Sandan has youth and physically better looking but the Nanadan can wipe the floor with him in all categories.

Better yet, would you rather learn from the founder of the art if he was in his 80's or a 30 year old Sandan that he taught. I'll take the first hand knowledge every time. Age is just a number. It doesn't negate the knowledge you have obtained over x number of years.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

If anything it will be more impressive! Were people put off by the ages of your soke and dai-soke?

No, they weren't; age wasn't ever considered. Great point!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Bob, I would have to cry bull on this one. Age has nothing to do with it. The longer you are in MA the more knowledge you obtain. If that were the case my Shinshii or for that fact his Shinshii couldn't teach.

We all get old and the older we get the smarter we become. Technique trumps strength.

On the few occasions that I was able to learn directly from my teachers Shinshii, I wasn't thinking about how old he was (68 the 1st time and 83 the last). I didn't see age because the old guy could kick my you know what. That and his knowledge of the art far out weighed his age or the potential physical obstacles his age presented.

Technique, knowledge and skill trump youth when it comes to teaching. Your not a professional fighter and nor do you need to be. Your a teacher of the arts. Who would you rather learn from, a 30 year old Sandan or a (insert age above 30 ) old Nanadan? Sure the Sandan has youth and physically better looking but the Nanadan can wipe the floor with him in all categories.

Better yet, would you rather learn from the founder of the art if he was in his 80's or a 30 year old Sandan that he taught. I'll take the first hand knowledge every time. Age is just a number. It doesn't negate the knowledge you have obtained over x number of years.

Excellent points, each and every one of them!!

I was just asking a question, because, as I said before, I've never been 60 years old before, and I'm just asking because the question just popped in my head, so I asked it.

My mind just goes on its own meandering way, as of late, so I thank you both, The Pred and Matsu Shinshii!!

Proof is on the floor...I've more than enough proof...and that's what 52 years being on the floor will provide...knowledge and experience!!

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor is 67 years old and still puts folk to shame in what he can do. Obviously there are limits to what he can demonstrate but, that's what the senior dan grades are there for, to call upon when needed.

His knowledge is unreal and he has a way of explaining things to everyone in different ways so they understand.

So in short, are you too old? As long as you have air in your lungs and knowledge in your brain, my answer is a big fat....... NO, YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD!!

Mo.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the saying goes...

'Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!'

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid posts, Mo and Kusotare; thank you!!

I suppose that some of my thought process, outside of what my dad and brother have suggested, has something to do with my retail experience.

Retail customers tend to shop where they know that that business will remain open for some time. If customers feel that that business might not be open for long, then they'll shop somewhere else. Why?

One reason is that customers want to feel that consistency of comfort; no surprises looming over the horizon.

I'm a student first, a MAist second, a teacher thirdly, and a retailer fourthly, and it's that retailer that, in this situation, I need to shake off. My age, through my knowledge and experiences, is what makes the differences to the Student Body. I've been teaching for quite a very long time, and that also shows on the floor!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: