Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

devil dog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, Kobudo Judo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No not all dojo's offer weapons. Some may offer it but it may be taught by an outside source.

2. It's a personal choice for me. I will not allow students to start training until they show they have the maturity necessary to train with weapons. Weapons are dangerous and it only takes one student to start goofing off while your back is turned and someones going to the hospital or worse. Personally it is in my opinion a liability issue. However I started when I was a Gokyu so my instructor did not feel the same as me.
I know some dojo that start them as hachikyu and as young as 10. As far as rank I would say a good time to start is Nikyu or maybe Sankyu if the practicioner has demonstrated good control, excellent empty hand skills and is mature enough to recognize it for what it is. A deadly weapon and not a toy.

3. Not sure but I view it as any other weapon. If I transport them I do so by putting them in the trunk of the car. Putting them on the passenger seat may not be the best idea. As far as walking down the road with a Yari, Nunchaku, or Kama it's probably not the best idea and you'll probably be stopped by a cop and questioned at the very least.

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot, does your dojo have weapons training? If so, which ones, and when will you get to give them a try? At our dojo we have them, and I have already had a couple of times trying bo, as well as tonfa once. I love the variety it adds, lots of fun! We got a little history lesson on them in the dojo the other day, which was really interesting. I didn't know anything about the weapons, so I quite enjoyed it.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian77 wrote:
Safroot, does your dojo have weapons training? If so, which ones, and when will you get to give them a try? At our dojo we have them, and I have already had a couple of times trying bo, as well as tonfa once. I love the variety it adds, lots of fun! We got a little history lesson on them in the dojo the other day, which was really interesting. I didn't know anything about the weapons, so I quite enjoyed it.

Unfortunately we don't have in our dojo & i think it will be difficult for me to start it somewhere else because of time & money issues but sure it's in my plan

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, too bad. Hopefully you do find a place to try it one day. It's too bad you're so far away. Our dojo offers some cool workshops periodically, and we have one coming up.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian77 wrote:
Ah, too bad. Hopefully you do find a place to try it one day. It's too bad you're so far away. Our dojo offers some cool workshops periodically, and we have one coming up.

as i told you, it's in my plan

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, I'm a firm believer that any kobudo grade MUSTN'T be in relationship to any karate-do grade; they're separate!! For example, my Kobudo grading was always lower than any karate-do grade, however, eventually, my kobudo grading finally caught up to my karate-do grade. In that, I held Hachidan in karate-do well before I finally earned my kobudo Hachidan.

Why? Two things, one, I'm a slow learner! I've failed more than my share of testing cycles. Two, I didn't begin learning kobudo until I was 6th kyu, even then, that slow learning curve I possess, well, it's slower, for me, in the kobudo stage.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: When to start weapons training ? Reply with quote

Quote:
I am pretty interested in weapons training but I have 3 questions about it:

1- Is weapon training conducted in all Dojos or some don't do it ?

I would say the vast majority of schools don't teach weapons, and in my experience, 90% of those that do teach weapons, shouldn't!

Quote:
2- When is the best time (which Kyu) to start weapons training or it's not related to your rank ?

This varies from school to school, but I start my students out with the bo at 3rd kyu level. Why that late? Because I want my students to be proficient with their hands and feet (karate) before they go to weapons. Weapons are just an extension of your hands.

Quote:
3- What are the legal restrictions on Weapons training and possessing if any ?

Check local laws...they vary alot!

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: