Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: When to start weapons training ? Reply with quote

I am pretty interested in weapons training but I have 3 questions about it:

1- Is weapon training conducted in all Dojos or some don't do it ?

2- When is the best time (which Kyu) to start weapons training or it's not related to your rank ?

3- What are the legal restrictions on Weapons training and possessing if any ?

Thank you and sorry for asking too many questions
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 2631
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Many dojo--particularly Japanese karate styles--don't do any weapons training. Some do, but it isn't as popular as karate.

2. Depends on how similar the weapons methods are to your karate, and how fast you are at learning, really. It isn't a rank thing, so much as the ability to learn the forms and techniques without getting it confused with your karate.

3. Can't really help you there, since I don't know anything about Australian laws--in my state in the US, I can own just about any weapon you can think of. I will say that techniques for bo, jo, hanbo, and sword all transfer over into just about any sort of long pole/stick-type object.
_________________
Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson
Shorin-Ryu | 2010-Present: Nidan | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)
Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker, Adrian Rivera
Karate Obsession | Arizona Practical Karate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 1956
Location: Dallas, TX
Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
1- Is weapon training conducted in all Dojos or some don't do it ?


It is not. However, some instructors who don't do it may have a place that they can recommend.

Safroot wrote:
2- When is the best time (which Kyu) to start weapons training or it's not related to your rank ?


I started at 9th kyu. Is that the best time to start? Who knows, it's just the time that I started. I am a proponent of starting earlier in your martial arts career however and being that I love weapons I believe that it's something that every martial artist should at the very least dabble in.

Safroot wrote:
3- What are the legal restrictions on Weapons training and possessing if any ?


http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/a/1996-75/current/pdf/1996-75.pdf

It seems that "nunchakus or kung-fu sticks or other similar device" are banned under the "Prohibited hand weapons" section, but I saw nothing else about martial arts weapons. Make sure to read over it more carefully than I did though.
_________________
Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
1. Many dojo--particularly Japanese karate styles--don't do any weapons training. Some do, but it isn't as popular as karate.

2. Depends on how similar the weapons methods are to your karate, and how fast you are at learning, really. It isn't a rank thing, so much as the ability to learn the forms and techniques without getting it confused with your karate.

3. Can't really help you there, since I don't know anything about Australian laws--in my state in the US, I can own just about any weapon you can think of. I will say that techniques for bo, jo, hanbo, and sword all transfer over into just about any sort of long pole/stick-type object.


Thanks for your answers .... much appreciated
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Safroot wrote:
1- Is weapon training conducted in all Dojos or some don't do it ?


It is not. However, some instructors who don't do it may have a place that they can recommend.

Safroot wrote:
2- When is the best time (which Kyu) to start weapons training or it's not related to your rank ?


I started at 9th kyu. Is that the best time to start? Who knows, it's just the time that I started. I am a proponent of starting earlier in your martial arts career however and being that I love weapons I believe that it's something that every martial artist should at the very least dabble in.

Safroot wrote:
3- What are the legal restrictions on Weapons training and possessing if any ?


http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/a/1996-75/current/pdf/1996-75.pdf

It seems that "nunchakus or kung-fu sticks or other similar device" are banned under the "Prohibited hand weapons" section, but I saw nothing else about martial arts weapons. Make sure to read over it more carefully than I did though.


Thanks for your post and thanks for the link ... I will have a look and see how it goes
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
It seems that "nunchakus or kung-fu sticks or other similar device" are banned under the "Prohibited hand weapons" section, but I saw nothing else about martial arts weapons. Make sure to read over it more carefully than I did though.


yes it seems very restricted here in Australia , it's only permitted to authorized instructors of "sports schools".

I think I have to check if I am going to buy anything first with relevant authorities
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 377
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started weapons training at 3rd kyu. We have bo staff in our dojo. Weapons are a red belt and above thing. We sometimes have red belt classes just for weapons training and red belt techniques. It's the first Friday of every month. Being a red belt myself, I'm somewhat experienced with the bo staff. It's best to start when you're ready. I must say I was ready long before this, but I didn't start actual weapons training until red belt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 15811
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We start at 6th Kyu!!


_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-robert-mitcham-fight-cancer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 1636
Location: Texas USA
Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started informally with a short bando stick form at 4th kyu and started my "formal" weapons training with bo staff at 3rd kyu (which is our technical start time for adults). Kids don't start weapons until junior black belt and both kids and adults only do bando stick and bo staff until the Dan ranks. After that, lower Dan ranks can add sai and/or tonfa and only advanced Dan ranks learn kama.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it depends on each dojo and bit of personal preference as well .... that sounds good
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >