Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: When you test for Black Belt..... Reply with quote

How many and what rank Sensei's do you have presiding over your BB testings? And for Nidan and up, do you have to have your Head Sensei/Master there? (Or go to them?) Ours is like that, pretty strict and all, just wondering about the rest of you?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got promoted to Nidan, we had every bb present from shodan to the Grandmaster of the system. Makes for a very lengthy promotion, as your bb had to make the rounds from the shodans on up to the Grandmaster.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificshore wrote:
When I got promoted to Nidan, we had every bb present from shodan to the Grandmaster of the system. Makes for a very lengthy promotion, as your bb had to make the rounds from the shodans on up to the Grandmaster.

Wow!!! I like that

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assessed by my 5th dan (association chief referee) and 6th dan (association chairperson and senior shotokan instructor) senseis for my nidan and will be assesed by both of them for my impending sandan.

As per most clubs (I guess) - all BBs who can be there (and there is usually a good reason needed for not going!) are used for 'testing' the BB candidates and are also themselves scrutinised on their own techniques.

Andy.

The Saint
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do ITF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our school we just have our instructor- 5th dan.

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When tested for the yellow belt the sensei only was 4th dan.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since our system isn't as widespread and commonplace as say, Taekwondo, all testing is pretty much up to the instructor of each dojo, and verified through the association.

I was fortunate on my shodan, as I was tested, without knowing I was being tested! lol

In June of 1978, the head of our system, Sensei Yuichi Kuda came to visit us from Okinawa for 3 weeks of very intense training. It was Sensei's 1st trip the the USA. During the 3rd week of training with him, all of us students (my sensei included) were lined up kneeling against one wall while Sensei Kuda asked us one at a time (by rank, my sensei first) to get up and perform a certain technique and specific kata.

Of course I was very nervous to get up in front of the head of the system by myself, but he was a very gentle, compassionate and friendly guy, so I just did my best in whatever he asked.

When I finished and went back to kneeling against the wall, my sensei leaned over and offered his hand..shook it and said "Good job...shodan!" I said "What???" That's when he told me I was just promoted to my shodan.

I have tested several people for black belts. If I am the only black belt in attendance, then I test alone. If there are others, then I will also have them watch the test and give me their opinions on how the testing student faired.

kregh99
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tested, it was with a panel of varying ranks. Usually 7 people. All the current instructors plus other instructors who had gone off to open their own schools or who moved out of town came back to be on the test panel. Senior brown-belts were selected to show them what a test looks like and to have them call out drills.

All were at least shodans. Most were nidan or above.

It was a 2-day test:

1st day - drills, drills, more drills, then some drills, and lastly, maybe a few drills. Then once the panel was done seeing the group of candidates perform drills, any member of the panel could ask for any technique to be repeated again by any student if they wanted something clarified.

2nd day - forms, forms, more forms, maybe some forms thrown in for good measure, then forms, then one-step sparring, then free-sparring.

3rd day - banquet at chinese or japanese restaurant and certificates handed out for promotions.

ialwaysgethit
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ours is from the brown belt above the top instructor is there with the top grades and the pressure is on and strict, even worse at nidan. aaaahhhhhhh

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing for shodan and above is done by the head of my association, with 2 other sandan and above black belts sat with him. The other black belts of the organisation are expected to be there, especially those of nidan and above, as they can be picked as sparring partners for those testing. It's basically wall-to-wall black belts there; even though most of them are not involved with the testing it is still very nerve-wracking!!

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: