Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video, on the other hand, is fantastic, and I purchased it directly from the website.

I'm ecstatic that, to my surprise, they offer a similar long distance training program as Gracie University. I mentioned in the grappling subforum that I discovered Gracie Combatives and that it offers live testing for rank; this program, to my surprise, does the same.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do. I have considered signing up for it, as it's only about 5 hours from my house if I ever wanted to train in person on a whim.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on the bunkai shown in the video for katas? Does it compare to traditional Shorin Ryu? They appear to be very interesting, but they primarily focus on situations in which someone is grabbing your wrist, neck, or other body part and countering with tuite techniques/throws.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that a lot of bunkai begins from someone grabbing you. Certainly not all, but for me, a lot of bunkai makes more sense if you are in a bind, whether wrist, neck, or otherwise. I am also of the opinion that a lot of the nukite techniques, such as the spear hand in Pinan Shodan, are grabs instead of strikes. It doesn't make a lot of sense to teach a beginner to do a nukite strike, but it does make sense for them to grab someone and throw them. Does it compare to traditional Shorin Ryu? I think so. I also think that the better question is: "Does the bunkai make sense?" And if the answer to that question is yes, then I think that the application is valid regardless of whether the move was interpreted that way by "traditional" karate.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it compare to traditional Shorin Ryu? I think so. I also think that the better question is: "Does the bunkai make sense?" And if the answer to that question is yes, then I think that the application is valid regardless of whether the move was interpreted that way by "traditional" karate.

There's a lot of wisdom in this, and it makes sense to me. I was interested in the bunkai variation they showed of Pinan Nidan, in response to a right cross, the left arm would inside-outside block/grab, then drive in with the same hand with a kizami zuki, followed by an oi zuki with the opposite side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: