Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ThaiMonkey
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Which is best for me.....? Reply with quote

All right, my body type sux for just about everything, I'll admit it. I'm 5'7", 152lbs. mostly muscle weight. I was wondering what arts you'd all sudjest for someone my size-I'm fairly quick, but tend more towards power than speed. Hope to hear your suggestiosn soon, and thnx.

ThaiMonkey
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Oops.... Reply with quote

I totally forgot some of the most imprtant info-I'm not overly into competition, but I do enjoy it, and I think I'd be happy with a more external martial art..don't let the name fool you, just a thought.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be truthal all this body type stuff is just a load of crap. Anybody type can be suited to any art. My teacher is very squatty and muscular nad is built for power. Whereas his assistant is a women, very small, small muscles, small bones but highest grade. She can use her agility to her advantage and my teacher can use power. So just to clear up body type means nothing, just my opinion.

Fist off do you want to do competition win medals have a nice big ego. Or do you want to learn real Martial Art (traditional). Martial Art is about bettering your self, Martial Art teaches you how to defend your self, not win medals and tropies. Some clubs might to both but really its up to you. If you want to become the best Martial Artisit you can be you will have to go to a traditional club, whereas if you want to go to a sports club where you put in front of another student and your tolds you have to win.

Now another question. How do you like to fight and dont use conscious thouight to fill this question, use instinct same as you should for the other questions.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like power like me, you might wanna have a look into boxing, kickboxing, muai thai, kenpo karate, judo. If you are only young, like 13-15, you'll probably get taller and heavier, so don't worry too much about your body type now, think about how it will be in the future.

Do you want striking, grappling, weapons, all of it ? If you want all of it, you'll have to cross train a bit to supplement weaknesses. For example, boxing won't have any weapons training or grappling.

It depends what you have in your area though, look up the arts you have in your area, then research them more to see what you like the sound of, check a few of them out.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I can suggest is to look at the schools in your area, take advantage of "free lesson" offers and determine what you like from there. It's really easy to give you a list of martial arts that are quite good, but they might not be offered in your area or have a teacher you don't want to learn from. Hell, some sound better in words than actually seeing them in motion.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you post what is available to you where you live and tell us what you are looking to get out of a martial art. It would be easier to help you.

Oh, and don't feed into the body type garbage, focus on the positive. Good luck.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: