Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

001Bonko
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am very new to the MA and was wondering which MA would be best for me. i was thinking tae kwon do since i cant kick very high at all and ive heard that it deals with a lot of kicking so should i get into that or would it be harder for me since i cannot kick very good

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would suggest is that you look into the many different styles of martial arts in your area. Just because you can't kick well dose not mean that you have to only take TKD. Practically any martial art can teach you to kick!! What you want to do is look for a dojo that you feel comfortable in and with the instructor. If you have never trained, then everything you will learn will feel foreign, but don't quit and before you know it, it'll be second nature to ya

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, are you interested in learning how to fight well? To get in better shape? For the spiritual aspect of it? WOuld you prefer to strike or grapple? Just some thoughts

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I just got over picking a MA.. Too many different arts, it was so hard.

It really depends what you want. Go to search engines and look through just about all the different MA available around your area. Then actually go to the dojo/dojang and check out the instructors and how they teach. Even if the art seems like something that would fit you, if the instructors are bad it'd be pointless.

Hmm, here's a little something..

If you're interested in...
-Grappling: Might wanna take Judo or Ju-juitsu

-Kicking:Taekwondo(Cuz it focuses on kicking a lot, but still many other arts teach kicking)

-Not learning too many different techniques but only a few of the more useful techniques:Kickingboxing or JKD

-Self Defense: This would be almost just about any art, but I heard Muy Thai was really good for this(Dunno if it's true, I don't know anything about muy thai)

-If you wanna take an art that has both things like grappling, kicking, punching, and just a lot of variety of things, I would suggest hapkido or ninjitsu.

Well that's just what I know, but I'm new to the stuff too, so I really suggest looking through other websites.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cya
Hiya

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Dragonstyle...
Probably the most obvious distinction is between striking arts (punching, kicking, possibly knees, elbows and more), and grappling arts (throws, take-downs, joint locks, etc). Most arts will include some degree of both, but emphasize primarily one or the other.
Another thing to look at is the country of origin, which tends to influence the way the art is taught, terminology used, uniforms, etc.
Kung Fu, for example, is a Chinese term which refers to "hard work" and covers a huge range of different styles. Japanese arts are generally known as "jitsu" (arts) or "do" (way). "Jitsus" are generally original Japanese samurai warrior arts or street self defense arts, like Ken-Jitsu, or Ju-Jitsu, and "dos" are generally later, more sports oriented arts like Kendo and Judo. Other arts come from Thailand, Phillipines, India, Israel, Russia, Brazil, to name a few.
Some arts, like boxing or mauy thai, you pretty much train for the ring and "prize fighting" full time. Others, like karate, will focus more on developing your individual skill, with competition optional. In fact, some traditional karate schools never even spar at all... But then some spar a lot, and encourage competition, and even participate in full-contact karate and multiple martial arts.
Some are completely "soft" and focus on slow, precise movements, balance, internal well-being and spiritual growth. This typifies the "internal" Kung Fu practised by some Chinese schools.

Heres a range of things to look at:

Karate - Okinawan/Japanese striking art. Emphasized power, speed, accuracy, with short quick moves. Some schools have breaking boards and bricks as power training, some lots of kata.

Ju-Jitsu - Japanese grappling/striking arts, emphasizing joint locks, take-downs, strikes to disable and unbalance an opponent, generally to vulnerable points, chokes, plus sometime sweapons at higher grades.

Judo - a more sporting evolution of Ju-Jitsu, emphasizing throws, locks, take downs, holds. "Nastier" elements of ju-jitsu removed but more effective in "safe" competition.

Aikido - similar to judo, but emphasising more the spiritual and non-aggresive side of the art. Like judo, aims to utilize an aggresors force against them, or to neutralize it.

Tae Kwon Do - Korean brother of Japanese karate. More emphasis on advanced leg techniques and high kicks. Very sports/competition oriented.

Wing Chun - Chinese Kung Fu style, said to have been developed by a woman watching a white crane fight. Emphasizes very fast striking to vulnerable points and quick, fluid movements. Bruce Lee's original style.

Shaolin Kempo (Monk Fist Boxing) - Hard Kung Fu style emphasizing fast, hard strikes, punches, vital point striking, taking down an off balance opponent, eg with leg sweeps, grappling, locks. A forefather of Okinawan karate.

Tai Chi - Soft, internal Kung Fu style emphasizing slow, circular movement, breathing, meditation, balance and spiritual growth. Takes a very long time to master, but in theory a devastating martial art, although rarely taught or practised as such...

Muay Thai - Thai Kickboxing/"street fighting". A striking art emphasizing low kicks, knees, elbows, punching and hard striking generally. Considered relatively fast to learn and the training is generally hard fight training for full contact competition. (similar to boxing... competitors even wear boxing style shorts)

Brazilian Ju-Jitsu - offshoot/evolution of Japanese Ju-Jitsu developed by a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu school (Gracie JuJitsu). Has proven effective in open competition.

Krav Maga - Self defense system based on the Israeli army training system.

I hope this is enought to give you a brief overview of the sort of thing that's out there, particularly things you might hear discussed on this board. Also hope I haven't over-generalized anyone's art too much...

Also remember that within some of these styles there are bound to be lots of differing schools. Apart from the hundreds of Kung-Fu styles, Karate has produced a fair share of styles too - Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, Kyokushin, Shi-To-Ryu, plus many minor ones, all emphasizing slightly different things.

Research what takes your interest on the web. Attend and watch some different classes if you want. Then join something that interests you, and that you'd be willing to stick at for a while. Beware offers to make you a "lethal combat machine in 6 months" because most things take longer than that to master.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Taikuda!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always have a huge adoration for shaolin kempo. Whether I ever stop taking it, which I don't anticipate, or not, I will always admire its versatility.

Drunken Master
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a ITF Taekwon-Do student and would highly recommend it.

Also, in just the same way it is good to join a gym near you, I would say the same about a studying a martial art. If your club is close you are also more likely to keep going.

For info on ITF Taekwon-Do check out [link]www.itf-taekwondo.com[/link]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this question gets asked a lot. Does this indicate a need for an exploration area?

Thaifoot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good idea
My advice is pretty much the same as everyone elses. See whats in your area and make sure you research a bit about your chosen martial art before you go and try it, to see if you'll like it or not.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: