Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ssosw
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Dubai. Are all Karate centers affliated to some federation or is it just rent a gym and start teaching.

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai in North Africa? Don't have any idea what you'd find there.

In the states it is my experience that most Sensei are not really at a level where they have advanced knowledge of their art. In other words they are not really Sensei at all by my definition. I have to believe that this is true elsewhere too. How can you know if the teacher is any good? This is tough but do your research, check him out, put the pieces together and see if they seem to add up to a good teacher.

One of the things I look for is if the students at any given school come from all over to train there. There are schools where people will travel from very far away, even other countries to train. This to me is at least one indication of a superior teacher and school.

If you're still not sure when you begin to train use common sense. Does what you are learning make sense for what your needs are? Can you use what they train on the street in a real life and death situation? Does what they train all fit together into one whole and not conflict? Do they use what they train in fighting or do they practice one way and then fight a different way altogether? Do the advanced students blow your mind with their high level of skill? Do they want you to sign a contract??? Hope not. Does everyone eventually ‘become’ a black belt? Hope not. In the first few months are you impressed with what you can do? Even in a short period of time you should see a change in yourself, how you see the opponent, new reflexes, and a clearer picture of where you are going in the system, that should make sense.

Here’s a link with info for finding a dojo.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/rookies/

Good luck

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-04-15 21:54 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: