Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ssosw
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to learn the art of Karate,but am confused by the vast range of styles.I would like to know the pros and cons of some of the styles.I am not interested in karate as a sport.Please advise. How many years will it take me to be somewhat perfect in this art.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More important than the "vast range of styles" is what do you have the choice of in your area?

You're not interested in sport - so what exactly are you interested in?

Does it have to be "Karate"? Or are you using that as a generic term?

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

ssosw
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but I think there is Shotokan, Shorin-Ryu Seibukan & Ryobu-kai.I dont know if there is any other

I am 25 years old and I dont think I will be taking part in tournaments anymore. I need to be able to fight , and be good at it.

Isnt Karate the art of self defence .Thats important too.Not just fight.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any form of karate should give you a nice base of balance between punching, kicking, blocking etc. However ifyour just wanting to learn how to fight find a Thai school.

With that said Shotokan is maybe the most popular of the karate systems with lots of littature out on it to help you learn on your own.

I would ask arround and see who had the most classes for the lesser price. LOL. Most schools will let you watch a few classes before starting. Take into account with numbe of students each have. Also watch the higher ranking students if they look pretty good the teach is most likely prrety good if they are sloppy and don't seem to be serious durring class I would sugest going to another school.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also watch who is teaching th classes. If the main instructor is there or if he has turned it over to his students to teach.

Most schools will let Sr. studetns teach or help teach intro classes becasue that helps them get ready and it gives new kids a one on one feeling. However you don't want to take a class that you never see the main instructor.

Your lucky to have 3 choices I only had 1 and I was lucky I had a good instructor in a quality class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ai Hate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, any MA can be used in real fighting if you really focus on it (train based on it). though some say judo or TKD is very sports oriented, i say it can be used in real fights too, if you're good enough..

ssosw
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the practices in different styles. I have heard that some are original while some are derivatives .I would like to decide which is best for me after you give your opinion.I have heard that some styles need patience and many years of practice where as there are other styles which are fast and focus on some aspects only. Is this true.

KarateMom
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kempo Karate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kempo Karate.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHo, I believe that basically any kind of Okinawan karate is good (i.e. Goju Ryu, Shorei-ryu.) They are all good styles, but make sure that the sensei is also a good sensei as well!

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? USA? State? Hate to be biased but I think Wing Chun would be a great choice.

Depending on where you live you may be limited. If there is Wing Chun around where you are you may want to check it out. If not see what's around. All things being equal try to find the most qualified teacher in your area - it'll be worth the drive - ride, etc. Many high ranking teachers out there know very little about their style and how to teach it, so choose carefully.

If you can post the city where you live or schools/teachers in your area it would help.

Good luck!

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-04-15 06:15 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: