Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Who do you fight? Reply with quote

What does "you don't fight your opponent, you fight yourself" mean to you? What do you fight when you step on the mat?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic; thanks for starting it.

Quote:
What does "you don't fight your opponent, you fight yourself" mean to you?

For me, it means don't get in your own way!! The opponent is enough to worry about without adding your own garbage into the formula.

Study your opponent
Study yourself
Make a plan
Carry plan out

How can I do all of that stuff if I'm fighting myself? I can't! But, if I study myself, and not fight with myself, then I've a chance.

Quote:
What do you fight when you step on the mat?

My opponent; nobody else!!

I know, I make it sound so easy. It is. However, it took me many years to achieve that mindset. Mizu No Kokoro and Tsuki No Kokoro are very important to a MAist because once you understand what these speak about, and learn how to effectively apply them, the practitioner can step away from that which can harm you, and these maxims are effective in a practitioners normal life away from the MA.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Thanks! I've been really thinking about this topic a lot lately. There are so many different interpretations for the adage. It can mean so many different things to different people. For some, its a battle against their own inner daemons. For some, it means fighting your now fear and cowardice. For it means fighting ones own laziness and getting to class and the gym. So many aspects of this philosophy to explore, so many levels of truth for this one simple phrase.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judodad_karateson wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Thanks! I've been really thinking about this topic a lot lately. There are so many different interpretations for the adage. It can mean so many different things to different people. For some, its a battle against their own inner daemons. For some, it means fighting your now fear and cowardice. For it means fighting ones own laziness and getting to class and the gym. So many aspects of this philosophy to explore, so many levels of truth for this one simple phrase.

Yes!! Each practitioner has their own experiences, therefore, they've different interpretations for the adage...none less important than the other.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fight myself because he's the only opponent I stand a chance against

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great topic!

I think that we all fight our egos. This gets in the way of our growth in MA, and can be a detriment to other areas in our lives. I think that you put it best, however.

judodad_karateson wrote:
There are so many different interpretations for the adage. It can mean so many different things to different people. For some, its a battle against their own inner daemons. For some, it means fighting your now fear and cowardice. For it means fighting ones own laziness and getting to class and the gym. So many aspects of this philosophy to explore, so many levels of truth for this one simple phrase.

When I step on to the mat, I fight my opponent. I think the goal is to let go of ego, your demons, or whatever is bothering you so that your opponent can also learn something. Sparring, like all other things, should be a learning experience and it is not fair to take that away from either yourself or you opponent.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

banani4g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who do you fight? Reply with quote

Judodad_karateson wrote:
What does "you don't fight your opponent, you fight yourself" mean to you? What do you fight when you step on the mat?

i also searching this question answer. thanks for ask this, which i also searching.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who do you fight? Reply with quote

banani4g wrote:
Judodad_karateson wrote:

i also searching this question answer. thanks for ask this, which i also searching.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On the mat," meaning dojo, I fight myself, so to speak. I try my best to do things I know I need to get better at. The only way to reduce weaknesses/improve is to keep working on them. I try to get out of my comfort zone by forcing myself to do things like changing my stance from southpaw to orthodox, kicking with my back leg more often, and kicking higher to increase my flexibility.

In a real SD situation that I can't walk away from, I fight my opponent. I've got enough to deal with without getting inside my own head. It's all muscle memory and hoping for the best. I've gotten myself out of every fight I could have been in for the last 15 years or so, so I think I'm doing some things right.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to become your apportion.

When you can conquer yourself, you can conquer others.

Its all about knowing yourself then knowing your enemy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: