Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own my a school, best advice I can give is don't be hesitant to change things if they're not working. Teach because you enjoy it, adapt, innovate and train hard. Most people come to get into shape, push them and get them the results they want. Do this while teaching good solid techniques in a fun and enjoyable way.

Do what you feel is best, not what your instructor did, because his instructor did it, back to someone in Asia. Word of mouth is the best method of recruiting, most print advertising won't work well enough to make it worth while.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started my new class. One thing I would add is try to keep your overhead low. Overhead being rent, etc. One thing to try is to work out of an existing school. I have been very fortunate so far. I am working with someone who understands that starting out is very difficult. I "rent" space from him at his TKD school. Normally when renting, people want "$X.XX" amount per month. If you can, try to work at a percentage per student instead if the fixed amount per month. More students you have, the more money you both make. It's a win/win situation. Because of that, the school owner may help you with advertising and other necessities that can be expensive. This will help in the beginning stages while your student base is small by paying for space and being able to bring a little money home at the same time.

In the meantime....I'm crossing my fingers and busting my hump.
Take care
in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're renting space from an existing MA school!? I wouldn't think he'd want the competition. I know of sharing space with exercise places, yoga, etc. But I don't think I've seen tow MA schools peacefully co-exist. Hope all continues to go well.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TSD instructor rented space to a Jujitsu instructor. They were both buddies. Just because my instructor "owned" the school, he didn't treat the jujitsu guy any less. In fact, if our students (TSD) wanted to take jujitsu, we got to with half price than outsiders would.

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:
Wow, you're renting space from an existing MA school!? I wouldn't think he'd want the competition. I know of sharing space with exercise places, yoga, etc. But I don't think I've seen tow MA schools peacefully co-exist. Hope all continues to go well.

I hear ya and thanks, Doug. Like I said, I have been very fortunate.

In my situation it's not really competition because....
First, he's a real nice guy and doesn't have that, "need to be 'Grand Pooba' of all attitude." He is very open to other forms of training and is the perpetual student. That's one trait I really respect him for.

Which leads me to the second reasoning. It's true we teach different arts, but they compliment each other's training very well.

Third, everyone learns and teaches differently. This way there is more options for students to choose from.

And fourth, no matter which class a person signs up for he still makes money.

Take care.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a small question. Isn't it enough to charge just the right ammount to pay for rent and new equipment for the dojo? Of course, this is assuming that another job is held during the day.

Just curious as this was my previous instructor's philosophy. He was concerned about loosing focus on the art and just worrying about making a few extra dollars. The dojo had just opened and I was one of the few people helping things get started and running smoothly.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle-san wrote:
Here's a small question. Isn't it enough to charge just the right ammount to pay for rent and new equipment for the dojo? Of course, this is assuming that another job is held during the day.

Running a full time business is a full time job, usually with a lot of overtime. So teach about 30 hrs a week, lets go really low and add 10 for admin (probably closer to 20-30) PLUS 40 hrs a week at another job.

This is leaving out personal training and development completely BTW.

Thats 80+ hrs a week!!

No, I'd rather do one thing right and retain some time for myself.

Why do people have such a hard time with martial arts instructor's making money? Do you think swimming instructors worry about losing focus on the "art"? How about Music instructors? Dance? University Profs?

Do you think what you are learning has so little value that its not worth paying someone to take the time to provide a facility, to keep it clean, to keep the records, to deal with the gov't and to TEACH it to you?

Not to mention that opening a business is a HUGE financial risk to the one who signs the papers.

Now there are some things that are done that I don't agree with. But martial arts instructors do need to eat.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody in okinawa ever charged for a lesson =p

College karate clubs are usually free.

And it says something when youd ratehr have your own commercial academy then teach at a Y.

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZakariRu wrote:
And it says something when youd ratehr have your own commercial academy then teach at a Y.

I would have to disagree because not just anyone can be accepted to teach at a YMCA. Also, if the Y already has a martial arts program they may not be willing to take on another style of martial art at the same time. I work for a YMCA.

Take care.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said rather

My goju ryu instructor teaches at a high school 2 days a week for free.
That says alot about his intentions to karate. He doesnt want to do anything but spread karate. (hes a teacher during the day)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: