Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dwarf2
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back on the korner and i saw this . I think this has to do with not knowing how to fight be cause someone learned forms and was not taught to fight. mma you learn how to fight from the beginning.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Why are Chinese martial arts being forgotten nowadays? Reply with quote

IMHO - Chinese Martial Arts is not being forgotten - Look in the US before Judo/Ju-Jitsu there was Boxing/Wrestling then came Judo/Ju-Jitsu and the Pie got divided - then Karate became popular and the Pie got divided some more - then the Kung Fu Craze hit and the pie got divided some more and so on with the Ninja Craze then Brazil Ju-Jitsu and now Mixed Martial Arts. So the Chinese Martial Arts slice of the pie only got smaller but still there.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tai Chi Chuan is very popular and Qi Kung is coming.

Wushu is so broad range of disciplines and instructors are few.

Cobra_Kai
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to find a dedicated Zui Quan master

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra_Kai wrote:
I would love to find a dedicated Zui Quan master

A Saturday night version of a macdojo sensei is not enough?

clfsean
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai, others in the past

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA's aren't being forgotten. Shadowed by other things due to whatever the personal reasons of the practitioner sure, but not forgotten.

Everything ebbs & flows based on trends. The people who are intent about learning it, will find it & study. Those who aren't, won't.

Either way, it's not going away & there could be big things coming for the CMA community in general over the next 7 to 8 years. We'll have to wait & see.

But I think things are just fine.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hung gar, Shaolin, Taichi, south sea fist and Raj shank astra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I feel chinese martial are are undergoing a revival in their popularity, the reason for their decline individuals who as teachers were irresponsible and focused only on the physical and not also the spiritual side of these martial arts. One i particular famous for popularising the one inch punch comes to mind, though I will give him credit for teaching the discipline of the martial arts to people who would otherwise have been ignorant. Also bear in mind that he became popular and is regarded by many as the father of MMA. Already proving he was purely a physical martial artist.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the yellow pages, Chinese MA can still be found. Chinese MA, like Kung-Fu will never be forgotten because it's so engrained in our society.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still anomalies of Chinese martial arts to be uncovered and demystified.

Continually sophisticated sports science equipment is being developed and created to understand Chinese martial art masters movements and inner workings that continues to baffle scientists, such as how they can generate more power with less effort.

Also 'Tai Chi Chuan' is still not completely understood as yet. Meanwhile the health benefits of practicing this style is undeniably beneficial.

Chinese martial arts will continue simply because it is ingrained with their culture and history.

Chinese 'Chin Na' techniques are still not completely utilized by most martial artists, so there are many (700 more or less) techniques still up for grabs.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el-peligroso wrote:
kooterwong wrote:
Nowadays it's not just Chinese martial arts. Most of these arts are replaced with MMA which is growing ever more popular nowadays. Nowadays I just dont hear ppl talking abt chinese kungfu anymore... Does this in mean that traditional Kungfu will be extinct in many years to come? It used to be the hype 20 years ago.

Because people have realized that it isn't useful. Bruce Lee even came to that conclusion and that is why he developed JKD.

When ever I hear someone say that they do Kung Fu, I actually laugh.
Bruce Lee would say that Kung Fu is just a name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: