Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined Shindokan because it was the only school NEAR enough to my house, 6 blocks away, so I could ride my bike there. My mom said...."Join that one or nothing!" Thanks mom!

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I joined Shindokan because it was the only school NEAR enough to my house, 6 blocks away, so I could ride my bike there. My mom said...."Join that one or nothing!" Thanks mom!

Moms are cool.

My mom convinced my dad to put me into Judo as I had a disciplinary problem, mainly to fight.

She was told via a friend, that martial arts could help.

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Moms are cool.

My mom convinced my dad to put me into Judo as I had a disciplinary problem, mainly to fight.

I remember when I was a teenager, living in a small town, there wasn't any schools actually in my town. The closest one was about 30 miles away. The mom of one of my friends told him that if a school ever opened up in town that he could sign up for classes. She figured the chances of a school opening up in a town of 2,000 people were slim to none. Then one actually opened up my freshman year of high school. He reminded her of her promise and fortunately for him, she felt obligated to hold her end of the promise. Unfortunately, my parents didn't let me sign up, so the start of my martial arts journey was still another decade away before I found the right opportunity, but I always thought that was a very funny story.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateGeorge wrote:
RichardZ wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Moms are cool.

I remember when I was a teenager, living in a small town, there wasn't any schools actually in my town. The closest one was about 30 miles away. The mom of one of my friends told him that if a school ever opened up in town that he could sign up for classes. She figured the chances of a school opening up in a town of 2,000 people were slim to none. Then one actually opened up my freshman year of high school. He reminded her of her promise and fortunately for him, she felt obligated to hold her end of the promise. Unfortunately, my parents didn't let me sign up, so the start of my martial arts journey was still another decade away before I found the right opportunity, but I always thought that was a very funny story.

Maybe, you should have tried the same "deal" as he had?

It was hard for me as my dad had certain cultural prejudices back then.

My mom, as sometimes, was able to convince him.

arcelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's always been Geography. Living in the semi-rural south, I've never had the opportunity to pick and choose...I went with what was available.

When I was a kid there was a Goju school not far from my house. Now there is a school that teaches both TKD and Aikido just a couple of miles away.

I've been pretty lucky to have lived in close proximity to some quality dojos.

I hope I don't ever have to move again...I fear my luck won't always be so good!

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Moms are cool.

Mom's arent THAT cool :/

I started in shotokan against my parents' wishes' (cause they didnt think i could do it cause i was born with a small balance issue and didnt start walking til i was 4, even up until last year (when i was 30, now im 31) they said and embarrassed me in front of all my extended relatives by saying i wouldnt even be able to work in a restaurant because i wouldnt even be able to carry a cup of coffee across the room both my parents even said Your mind is the only thing thatll get you anywhere, you'll NEVER achieve anything with your body'

I'm glad i didnt listen, cause now I'm a award winning gold medalist Shotokanka and soon to be tested for yellow belt in a month.

You know it isnt quite as bad when you have acquaitances or strangers saying they dont believe in you, but its different when its your own family. it hurts even more.

Made me want to prove them wrong cause i knew I did have the ability. and thats why I told my parents to come to my Shotokan competition/tournament. and thats where I won the gold medal and got the highest marks in the Kata portion.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Isshinryu because the Isshinryu class was only $2 a class whereas all the other schools in town were wicked expensive and my parents couldn't afford it. Then when I became an adult who could pay for my own karate and was looking to get back into it, I did a lot of research on the schools around town and decided that the Isshinryu class I went to when I was a kid was more my style. It's purposely a very small class, it has an instructor who the Karate world seems to respect (lots of people on the FightingArts.com forums were saying anyone who could study with him was lucky), I have a lot of respect for the instructor based on how he taught me when I was younger, it's low key, there's a good balance of forms and technique along with application, there's absolutely no monetary motivation in training or promotions or anything because the class is free, the class is free... There were a lot of motivating factors in my decision to go back to my old school instead of going to one of the others around here.

I also have to say as I'm looking at the different styles a bit more that I've grown to be really proud of the style itself-- its origins and its techniques. I think the vertical Isshinryu snap punch is just awesome and more practical than turning punches as is the close-range front kick. I also really love the forms.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Made me want to prove them wrong cause i knew I did have the ability."

Yeah, that kind of things motivates me too.

-A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-Walter Bagehot
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Soo Bahk Do to work with my children during their special needs class. They've progressed so well that I shouldn't be, and so no longer am, on the floor with them anymore. They're progressing so that, eventually, working the boys into a regular class down the road is a distinct possibility.

With that, I decided that what was best for me personally was a different focus, less on the art and much more on the applications. This includes controlled contact sparring. I had already cleared with my sons' teacher, who was my teacher as well, that I would be making a change, and had an interview with another school in town that could accommodate me.

It's not that one school is better than the other, but that they are different. For two years I did what was the right thing to do as a father for my children, and now that there's been an important improvement, I can concentrate on my own self-defense needs.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, like most, choose a dojo that was close to my house as opposed to picking a style... but I was new to MAs. If i moved somewhere i think i would make the style more of a focus. The only criteria I has was (1) no dojos in a strip mall & (2) no national chain dojos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: