Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a little book by Bruce Lee called commentaries on the martial way at my friends house.

Have been hooked since.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to find good Jeet Kune Do in most places, thou....
*reads location field*
That would do it, yes. Lucky sod.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate: Because it was the closer thing to Kung Fu, the style i really wanted to train in the first plalce. Now, i can't picture my life without karate in it. Don't regret one thing about getting into karate.

Kung Fu: Because now i found a school and jumped into the oportunity to train in the style that made me love martial arts in the first place.

I feel a natural progression going from Karate to Kung Fu, the mother style. Now if can get into Judo would be nice.

etali
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been wanting to do an art for a while. I've just moved to a new area. I searched for schools in the area, and picked the one that I could afford looked the least McDojo-ish.

There are others that have more contact sparring, etc, which I'd like to do one day, but their fees are out of my price range. For now I'm happy to learn the art side from a good Sensei.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did kung fu and ju mjutsu because it was in my middle school. When I went to high school I didnt have time anymore for kung fu and ju justsu but at least I took some self defence courses. And now in college I started training shotokan

shotokan-ste
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after finally deciding in taking up karate ,i went to 2 dojo,the first one i went to was very impressive,kitted out with all new equipment,karate gi was top quality with more badges /logos than when i was a boy scout,but very very expensive to join,but more importantly i didnt feel comfortable there ,the 2nd dojo no fancy equipment standard gi etc run by a family and you know what i feel at home here it has a brilliant reputation high standards,and im having the time of my life (well only been there for just under a year)

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started out in Bushido for the first few years, but due to a personal decision from my sensei he moved away from the organisation.

He was one of those people that you just seem to click with and he had affected my life in a profound way in the short time i had known him, so naturally i followed him and ended up being one of the founding members of his new style which is a combination of traditional karate and aikido mixed with knife defence and street fighting and also the weapon styles like sword and staff in there too.

I found it to be not only a style that encompassed all the things i wanted from martial arts (the art side but also the reality based combat) but also the fact that i was following and staying loyal to my sensei was very important to me.

To this day the journey continues!

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: