Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Why do you teach it? Reply with quote

What is your reason gor teaching martial arts? Is it kids? Is ot the interaction inside the studio? Is it that you enjoy sharing your knowlage? What is your reason?

For me, the answer is that I really, for an unknown reason, enjoy sharing what I know. I cant explain why, I just enjoy teaching others techniques and watching them really get it. I also enjoy being present in the studio and outside of training it gives me an excuse haha.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy passing on my knowledge to others (I've got a degree in elementary education and taught for a few years, though I'm no longer in that field).

But mostly I do it to give the kids a positive experience. Based on the statistics of our program, the vast, vast, vast majority of the kids who come through our doors won't stay. Maybe 1 of 10 will make it two years and one of 200 will make it to Shodan. Even the ones who stay a few years drop out once they hit high school and start other activities or get part time jobs.

But whether that kid is with us for three weeks or five years, I want them to have a positive experience with it so that when they read or hear about martial arts, they'll know a little about it and have a frame of reference. They'll also have experience in trying something totally new, getting out of their comfort zone, and gaining a new skill. Even if they forget everything we've taught them, just having gone through the process of learning will make them stronger learners in the future.

For the kids who stay with us a few years and make it to brown or jr black belt, hopefully they've learned some decent self defense skills, have gained more coordination and control of their bodies, and have experienced working hard and making slow progress towards large and small goals as they've worked their way through the ranks.

Honestly I think that secondary stuff will serve them better through life than the actual karate. As much as martial artists talk about "the street", very few of us upon reaching adulthood will ever actually be in real life fights. But accomplishing goals and perseverance are always useful.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, Lex!!

I teach Shindokan because of my love for Shindokan, and because I'm teaching Shindokan, I want to share not only Soke's and Dai-Soke's knowledge and experience that they've given me, but mine as well.

The ultimate reward for me is when I see a student have their AHA moment, which is quickly followed with a big grin of accomplishment.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my art, upon receiving 1st Dan, you promise to teach, in whatever capacity you can, as an act of paying it forward so to speak. I have tried to do so. I've had too much going on in recent years to really commit to it, but I love passing on knowledge and hope to be able to teach on a regular basis sometime in the future.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first started teaching, it was just to help fill the time and also to help my sensei out when instructors left.

Although when I took some time off training when I was completing my VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education, Years 11 & 12), I helped teach at my sensei's new dojo because I wanted to repay him for all the years he taught me and helped me reach Shodan-Ho.

But now since I restarted training (2011/2012ish), i realised that I should be teaching not only for the kids but also for myself. Because I found when I realised that I should be teaching for myself and letting the kids in a way teach me that my own Karate would improve.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome topic.

I'm not sure I have a single best answer for my own why. Part of it is simply I want a place to train people to workout with. i do like sharing the art, certainly. But when I look back across all my time in the arts till now the thing I really enjoy most is the people, the relationships. Sharing the mat with like minded individuals is just great.

It's really the best thing about training. Instructing is a chance to build the environment to grow that set of relationships.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is my purpose on this world.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply love what I do and want to share my experiences.

I have trained in a few different clubs, but no single club could offer everything that I got from the other clubs so I decided to form my own and try to incorporate everything that I liked from all the other clubs and removed anything I didn't...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Karate_John
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because I love the martial arts and want to share my experiences. I also feel I benefit from getting different view points and ways to think from students.

helps with the ah ha moments as well

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love to teach. I love teaching technique, helping students (that are willing to work hard) to learn the proper way to execute the techniques, and watching them get better over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: