Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1875
Location: Wales
Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how you feel, some of my friends train in 3 styles now; I feel they should concentrate on one and do it right. But that's only my opinion.
_________________
Look to the far mountain and see all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 1774
Location: Dallas, TX
Styles: Shorin Ryu, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Mantis, Schola Saint George (HEMA)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I understand how you feel, some of my friends train in 3 styles now; I feel they should concentrate on one and do it right. But that's only my opinion.
Agreed! Focus on one at a time if the system is new!
_________________
Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 198

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why I may drop karate Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:


I've had the same issue, I started of doing Thai boxing, and then picked up shotokan. My biggest issue at first was trying to fuse too much, too soon, while not having a full understanding of karate techniques.

Some techniques you'll find work well in kickboxing, some not so much, but would also instead work in MMA (if that sorta thing interest you)

I personally feel you can get a lot out of karate, but just keep in mind not everything is going to translate into each other, and to keep and open mind...and personally, if you enjoy it, i'd stick with it for kicks and giggles.

How long have you been doing karate? If you're really passionate about the kickboxing, then maybe you might want to put Karate to the side to focus on that, but ultimately it comes from what you want to get out of it.


I've been doing karate for about four years now. I've been kickboxing for about six months, though due to time constraints on training I'm still embarrassingly bad at it, same for BJJ, and I've hardly progressed in shotokan since coming back from a one year break I took a year ago. The reason I'm considering dropping karate rather than kickboxing is mostly due to the locations. kickboxing is at the same place as BJJ, a ten minute walk from where I live, and I can get very frequent training very cheap. It takes longer to get to karate, even though I go by bike, and the training isn't frequent enough to fit my schedule .
Out of interest, which elements (specific to shotokan karate) do you think would incorporate well into MMA? I always thought the moving aside, grabbing and removing of your opponent's guard might go well. I haven't sparred MMA in ages though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 175

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why I may drop karate Reply with quote

guird wrote:
chrissyp wrote:


I've had the same issue, I started of doing Thai boxing, and then picked up shotokan. My biggest issue at first was trying to fuse too much, too soon, while not having a full understanding of karate techniques.

Some techniques you'll find work well in kickboxing, some not so much, but would also instead work in MMA (if that sorta thing interest you)

I personally feel you can get a lot out of karate, but just keep in mind not everything is going to translate into each other, and to keep and open mind...and personally, if you enjoy it, i'd stick with it for kicks and giggles.

How long have you been doing karate? If you're really passionate about the kickboxing, then maybe you might want to put Karate to the side to focus on that, but ultimately it comes from what you want to get out of it.


I've been doing karate for about four years now. I've been kickboxing for about six months, though due to time constraints on training I'm still embarrassingly bad at it, same for BJJ, and I've hardly progressed in shotokan since coming back from a one year break I took a year ago. The reason I'm considering dropping karate rather than kickboxing is mostly due to the locations. kickboxing is at the same place as BJJ, a ten minute walk from where I live, and I can get very frequent training very cheap. It takes longer to get to karate, even though I go by bike, and the training isn't frequent enough to fit my schedule .
Out of interest, which elements (specific to shotokan karate) do you think would incorporate well into MMA? I always thought the moving aside, grabbing and removing of your opponent's guard might go well. I haven't sparred MMA in ages though.
the hand techniques, like you said. redirecting my opponents hand and counter attacking. it's also opened my mind to different striking combinations.
_________________
Per Aspera Ad Astra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 175

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and foot sweeps. foot sweeps all day. such an amazing technique no ome practices
_________________
Per Aspera Ad Astra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 275
Location: Poland
Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am training in shotokan karate and out sensei also has kick boxing class. For me karate works well in kick boxing. Only thing I have problem with is kicking with my shin, I cant get the distance right.
_________________
A style is just a name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28955
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much fun as it is to train, train, train, sometimes, less is more. It will be a tough decision, but in the end, it may work out better for you. And who knows, maybe in the future, one of the others will need to fade out, and something else will shade in.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Zimlock
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Location: United Kingdom
Styles: Shotokan Karate, Aikikai Aikido

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most karate would work in MMA, surely!
Take a look at the kata, there are goldmines of techniques in there.
I wouldn't want to lunge at a pro MMA guy with an Oi-tsuki, but I might be tempted by the odd bit of jion if I'm being grabbed.
_________________
Nidan - Shotokan Karate
Mukyu- Akikai Aikido
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 520

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate does work in MMA. Look at fighters like Lyoto Machida. He's a Shotokan guy. And there was another Karate fighter (featherweight) this weekend that dominated some guy. It works because it was designed to work! However, MMA has rules. A lot of the techniques in katas are not designed to be used in a sport. They take points off for groing kicks and eye gouges! Hell, if I'm being attacked on the street, these are 2 things that I'm probably using first.

IMO, the best combo of MA's for MMA would be Karate and submission wrestling.
_________________
Seek Perfection of Character
Be Faithful
Endeavor
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28955
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:

IMO, the best combo of MA's for MMA would be Karate and submission wrestling.


If that were the case, I think you'd see more gyms that produce fighters using them in their training. The combo of Muay Thai, Wrestling, and BJJ has pretty much won just about everyone over as far as MMA training goes. Not that it wouldn't be a good combo, and not that every fighter will fit into that mold. There are always a few outliers that will keep this conversation going.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >