Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to make it clear, someone at this site corrected me on tkd's origins, and thus i pass my newfound knowledge along.

Intro

Zorba
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly,

a lot of the basics are very similar, infact at the club im at now, the first poomsai is exactly the same as the first kata at my shotokan school.

the blocking is similar as are the stances. the main difference is that tkd concentrates on kicking while shotokan concentrates on hand techniques

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt
Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

ElbowTKO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Muay Thai KickBoxing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just spar the other blackbelts you believe aren't as good as you are?

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

Zorba
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did, they hardly got any attacks in.
i had one of them just cower away from me

tho we never did any contact sparring, (well, not with them, with the other black belts that were more my level we did light contact that some times got a bit rough, especially without protection)

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt
Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

jj19902003
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tae kwon do(mostly), gracie jiu jitsu, boxing, judo, bas rutten fighting system, grappling, jkd, krav maga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at my old tae kwon do eveyrone was like family it was awesome i wish we didnt have to move. and all you had to do to help teach a class was to be a higher belt rank than the class you are helping to teach. it was awesome.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
- martial arts legend:bruce lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts went in part , to be a piece in the economical market of today..but I think TKD is a special case ( I AM NOT SAYING THAT ALL TKD IS MC DOJO)
Here , in my country we have a lot of TKD dojos ( I mean, A LOT ,at least halft thousand at least in my city -3 million people city) , most of them are ITF and WTF.
Those styles , here ( I just can speak about what I know) , are belt factories. I saw 10 years old chubby kids 2 dan black belts , coming with their mom´s to the dojo. And , I saw that MANY times. Even , my brother when he was 7 years old , had a semi green belt after training for 6 months ( each belt change was $100).And a friend of mine told me that some people was able to skip belts doing a certain test.
I am sure that the traditional TKD is a good and serius thing ,as every pure art is.In fact I have a TKD friend who is really good. But the money can ruin anything.And at least here, TKD is a money machine. I have not seen that problem with Karate , sipalki (no threads about it in this forum), kung fu, etc.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Why I Quit Tae Kwon Do Reply with quote

Zorba wrote:
It is now 4 years later and I began Shotokan a year ago. I am enjoying it immensely.

Glad you enjoy Shotokan Karate.

Like it's already been said, your experience isn't just limited to TKD. I've been to various Associations/Styles/Arts where just looking at the 3rd kyu's and above basic's and I wonder how they ever got their rank (on the other hand I've been to associations where I've thought to myself, ah yes I'll integrate that into my class - there's always room for improvement). At the end of the day it's down to the individual instructor and not the art itself.

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: