Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
While I don't have a website for my dojo: Kyuodan Dojo, many instructors from my circa don't have a website either.

I think this statement hits the nail on the head. You've been teaching for so long and have developed such rapport in your community over time, that you probably don't need a website. If someone in your town wants to train martial arts, there's probably a local business owner or teacher or parent saying, "Go see Sensei 8." And this SHOULD be the goal of EVERY academy owner.

However, for upstarts today, having a website is a great and affordable method of letting people know you exist. The world runs on the web and well over 50% of parents do a preliminary search on the web. For people starting today that want to run a school as a full time job...you should have a web presence.

Good article though.

Thanks for your kind words, ps1, solid post!!

I agree your premise on having a website for schools starting out in todays market as full-time instructors; a need that needs serious consideration.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post by ps1...

sensei8 wrote:
You know, I wasn't born into the internet era like many of you here have. That's not an excuse to not have a website, it's just a statement of fact for me. For change to happen, I believe that I have to want to change in that regards, and I don't want to. Change is inevitable and should be welcomed, but as far as the Kyuodan Dojo is concerned, I'm not looking for change in the website regards, and that's because, I've never had a website, and I'm doing fine in the size of my student body as well as having new student enrollments darkening my door.

The Hombu is looking to join the modern and current times that we all live in, but driving the Hombu's new student enrollments via having a website isn't our goal; old school for us there! Our goal is neither to silence the naysayers that rattle our doors constantly about how we MUST have a website to be taken seriously; old school for us there, as well!

No! The Hombu's goal for wanting to get out of the stone age by having a website is to better communicate with our overall student body; thereby, having a better way to serve our overall student body!

Unlike you Bob, I was born in the Internet generation Neither's better than the other and I am sure yourself and the Shindokan body are fine as you are.

That said I would agree with the following sentiment from Patrick:

Patrick wrote:
Having a website isn't just about bringing in the people who visit your website, but also not losing the people who discover you don't have one. When I am looking for a service and I find they don't have a website... it makes me a little uncomfortable.

Nowadays I think for most people having some sort of Internet presence is a given. If you don't have any trace on the Web it can be a turnoff sometimes in the sense that a website provides a story and information about the product or service before you even leave the house ear pick up the phone. If I know of two schools in an area offering exactly the same style and same level of teaching, I probably would be more inclined to the one that has a website/Facebook/Internet presence as, although not technically true, it does convey a sense of transparency. The school that doesn't have a website to me would seem a bit cloak and dagger, like they were trying to hide something or intentionally did not want to be contacted.

That's how the younger generation function though. We "Google" stuff first. We want information first. Having an Internet presence makes that possible.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Great post by ps1...

sensei8 wrote:
You know, I wasn't born into the internet era like many of you here have. That's not an excuse to not have a website, it's just a statement of fact for me. For change to happen, I believe that I have to want to change in that regards, and I don't want to. Change is inevitable and should be welcomed, but as far as the Kyuodan Dojo is concerned, I'm not looking for change in the website regards, and that's because, I've never had a website, and I'm doing fine in the size of my student body as well as having new student enrollments darkening my door.

The Hombu is looking to join the modern and current times that we all live in, but driving the Hombu's new student enrollments via having a website isn't our goal; old school for us there! Our goal is neither to silence the naysayers that rattle our doors constantly about how we MUST have a website to be taken seriously; old school for us there, as well!

No! The Hombu's goal for wanting to get out of the stone age by having a website is to better communicate with our overall student body; thereby, having a better way to serve our overall student body!

Unlike you Bob, I was born in the Internet generation Neither's better than the other and I am sure yourself and the Shindokan body are fine as you are.

That said I would agree with the following sentiment from Patrick:

Patrick wrote:
Having a website isn't just about bringing in the people who visit your website, but also not losing the people who discover you don't have one. When I am looking for a service and I find they don't have a website... it makes me a little uncomfortable.

Nowadays I think for most people having some sort of Internet presence is a given. If you don't have any trace on the Web it can be a turnoff sometimes in the sense that a website provides a story and information about the product or service before you even leave the house ear pick up the phone. If I know of two schools in an area offering exactly the same style and same level of teaching, I probably would be more inclined to the one that has a website/Facebook/Internet presence as, although not technically true, it does convey a sense of transparency. The school that doesn't have a website to me would seem a bit cloak and dagger, like they were trying to hide something or intentionally did not want to be contacted.

That's how the younger generation function though. We "Google" stuff first. We want information first. Having an Internet presence makes that possible.

Great post, Danielle!!

The sentiments that you share with Patrick, have caused me to ask this question...

Does anyone here think that I'm trying to hide something?? I've been so forthcoming here at KF since I became a member, that even the slightest hint of an implication that I'm hiding something is an insult to my integrity!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Does anyone here think that I'm trying to hide something?? I've been so forthcoming here at KF since I became a member, that even the slightest hint of an implication that I'm hiding something is an insult to my integrity!!

I certainly don't think you're intentionally trying to hide something Bob. But think of it like this: suppose you've always wanted to play the guitar. You hear from your friend down the road that there is supposedly an amazing teacher called Jim in the next town who is completely revolutionary and can play a guitar like noone has heard before. But you don't know where Jim lives or plays or even if Jim is a real person. You do what most people do nowadays and try to find him via the Web. Unfortunately though you can't find him anywhere. Why can't you find any trace of him?

Now Bill also lives in the same town and is a pretty good teacher too. Probably not as good as Jim but good enough. Bill has a website where he explains a little bit about himself; his influences, his teachers, places he's played and people he has taught. Maybe he even has a couple of videos showcasing his talent and some testimonials from past students. Above all Bill has plenty of contact info on there and an invitation to call him for a chat if you think you might be interested - no obligations.

As a new prospective guitar player keen to start playing, do you:

a) keep hunting for Jim
He could be the best guitar teacher in the world. He could play the guitar with an incredible new method that noone else can. Or he could just be your average-Joe that's been hyped up. You might not even like his style of teaching or the way he plays. You don't even know that Jim really exists or if he still accepts students or that he wants to be contacted.

b) take lessons with Bill
From his website, his testimonials, his videos and from who he studied under, Bill looks pretty good. Maybe he's not as good as Jim but he seems good enough. From looking at his website you've already got a good feeling for him and what he is like and you think you would get along. You also know where he teaches and how to get in touch.

For a lot of people, scenario b) is what they are going to go with. Bill has offered up information and made it easy to get in touch. He seems to be forthcoming with info and seems to welcomes new students and wants to share his style. Ok so you could miss out on an amazing experience with Jim but Jim hasn't made himself available and you don't know for sure how good he is or if he will want to teach you.
Yes some people might choose option a) as they are willing to take a gamble for the best teacher but the vast majority will go with b) because they have already feel like they know Bill and have developed a relationship with him despite having never met the guy.

Now replace guitar with Martial Arts. You could be missing out on a lot of prospective students who choose option b). Maybe you value those that persevere with route a) more as a student, I don't know. But in this day and age, people (especially the younger generation) like to have info easily accessible and upfront. If you don't, chances are your competitor will and not all prospective students will have the time nor the inclination to seek out the Jim's of the MA world when the Bill's have made everything easy already.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I certainly don't think you're intentionally trying to hide something Bob. But think of it like this: suppose you've always wanted to play the guitar. You hear from your friend down the road that there is supposedly an amazing teacher called Jim in the next town who is completely revolutionary and can play a guitar like noone has heard before. But you don't know where Jim lives or plays or even if Jim is a real person. You do what most people do nowadays and try to find him via the Web. Unfortunately though you can't find him anywhere. Why can't you find any trace of him?

Now Bill also lives in the same town and is a pretty good teacher too. Probably not as good as Jim but good enough. Bill has a website where he explains a little bit about himself; his influences, his teachers, places he's played and people he has taught. Maybe he even has a couple of videos showcasing his talent and some testimonials from past students. Above all Bill has plenty of contact info on there and an invitation to call him for a chat if you think you might be interested - no obligations.

As a new prospective guitar player keen to start playing, do you:

a) keep hunting for Jim
He could be the best guitar teacher in the world. He could play the guitar with an incredible new method that noone else can. Or he could just be your average-Joe that's been hyped up. You might not even like his style of teaching or the way he plays. You don't even know that Jim really exists or if he still accepts students or that he wants to be contacted.

b) take lessons with Bill
From his website, his testimonials, his videos and from who he studied under, Bill looks pretty good. Maybe he's not as good as Jim but he seems good enough. From looking at his website you've already got a good feeling for him and what he is like and you think you would get along. You also know where he teaches and how to get in touch.

For a lot of people, scenario b) is what they are going to go with. Bill has offered up information and made it easy to get in touch. He seems to be forthcoming with info and seems to welcomes new students and wants to share his style. Ok so you could miss out on an amazing experience with Jim but Jim hasn't made himself available and you don't know for sure how good he is or if he will want to teach you.
Yes some people might choose option a) as they are willing to take a gamble for the best teacher but the vast majority will go with b) because they have already feel like they know Bill and have developed a relationship with him despite having never met the guy.

Now replace guitar with Martial Arts. You could be missing out on a lot of prospective students who choose option b). Maybe you value those that persevere with route a) more as a student, I don't know. But in this day and age, people (especially the younger generation) like to have info easily accessible and upfront. If you don't, chances are your competitor will and not all prospective students will have the time nor the inclination to seek out the Jim's of the MA world when the Bill's have made everything easy already.

Solid post!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

Thank you for the reply.

Obviously, any business and any martial arts school is free not to have a website. Just like they are free not to have any number of things. I said that in my first post, no worries. I'm not trying to encroach upon your right not to have a website, but I do think that if a school owner reads your post and thinks "Bob doesn't have a website, so I don't need one," that is a risky thing to do.

There are a couple of other thoughts I had, from your reply.

sensei8 wrote:
Sure, I'm in business to make a profit, and having new students helps me meet my bottom line. However, I've been operating the Kyuodan Dojo ever since the late 1970's, and my current active student body is well over 300. Word of mouth and demonstrations and the like have served me well all of these years; without the aide of having a website or the like. ...

In your school, I'm sure you have many things that were made after 1980. Carpet, training equipment, etc. Maybe you could have done with carpet made before 1980, training equipment made before 1980, etc., but I am guessing you haven't. Why not? One of the reasons is because these things changed or became available in a new form. The same is true for how word of mouth marketing works.

When people talk about word of mouth marketing today, most of the discussion relates to the internet because that is where most word of mouth marketing happens. Even offline word of mouth marketing often involves telling someone a website to go to. So when you say that you rely heavily on word of mouth, and yet you don't have a website, those two statements are a tad contradictory in this day and age. You are undermining the value of word of mouth marketing by making it harder for people to share your school when someone asks for a recommendation.

Generationally, this will vary, of course. But I am guessing that most of your new students are probably under 40.

sensei8 wrote:
Why does it make you a little uncomfortable? I can imagine that there are quite a lot of small businesses that don't have website exposure for their own personal reason(s), but I don't believe that there's a reason to be uncomfortable with them, but of course, I'm speaking on my own behalf.

I think Danielle did a good job of explaining this. The number of small businesses that don't have websites will only continue to drop and those businesses will be more likely to disappear because they aren't where people look. I can't tell you when the last time I opened a phone book was. And I'm not being facetious. I really can't.

sensei8 wrote:
I believe that the Hombu SHOULD be involved in every aspect of creating a website; after all, it's what we'd be paying them for. This is the overall consensus of the hierarchy. We don't have any desire to tell any web designer how to do what we'd be paying for. However, since we'd be paying for them to produce exactly what WE want, then we'd tell them what we want and we'd expect them to produce it. Nonetheless, we're in our own way because the hierarchy isn't going forward until we can be in full agreement 100%. If a website doesn't happen on my watch, then the next Kiacho can accomplish what we weren't able to.

When a student enters your school, I think they should have some input into what they are taught. I don't think they should be able to tell you exactly what you should teach them and exactly how you should teach it, just because they are paying you. You are the expert, and they are paying you for your expertise.

If they did that, what would you do? I imagine you'd tell them no, and they would leave. And if they found a teacher that did let them demand they teach them only what they wanted, exactly how they wanted, I bet that teacher wouldn't be a good teacher. They would only be in it for a quick buck. In other words, they would be a hack.

That is the equivalent of what you are saying here, when applied to the martial arts. You should have input, but you are paying a professional to make decisions. If you take that away from them, I have no doubt you can still find someone who will make you a website because, frankly, most people advertising website design aren't good. But if you do that, you'll more likely end up with a hack.

Again, your school, your choice, no problem. Totally cool. This is just some stuff for you (and others) to keep in mind. Use it however.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Obviously, any business and any martial arts school is free not to have a website. Just like they are free not to have any number of things. I said that in my first post, no worries. I'm not trying to encroach upon your right not to have a website, but I do think that if a school owner reads your post and thinks "Bob doesn't have a website, so I don't need one," that is a risky thing to do.

I hear what you're saying in this regard.

Patrick wrote:
In your school, I'm sure you have many things that were made after 1980. Carpet, training equipment, etc. Maybe you could have done with carpet made before 1980, training equipment made before 1980, etc., but I am guessing you haven't. Why not? One of the reasons is because these things changed or became available in a new form. The same is true for how word of mouth marketing works.

When people talk about word of mouth marketing today, most of the discussion relates to the internet because that is where most word of mouth marketing happens. Even offline word of mouth marketing often involves telling someone a website to go to. So when you say that you rely heavily on word of mouth, and yet you don't have a website, those two statements are a tad contradictory in this day and age. You are undermining the value of word of mouth marketing by making it harder for people to share your school when someone asks for a recommendation.

Generationally, this will vary, of course. But I am guessing that most of your new students are probably under 40.

Word of mouth, again, has served me quite well. And, no, lol, my new students aren't all under 40; age ranges varies.

Patrick wrote:
I think Danielle did a good job of explaining this. The number of small businesses that don't have websites will only continue to drop and those businesses will be more likely to disappear because they aren't where people look. I can't tell you when the last time I opened a phone book was. And I'm not being facetious. I really can't.

Yes, Danielle did a good job of explaining that. I understand what you're saying and hopefully you understand that I know a lot of dojo owners who don't have a website, and they're still doing quite well, and they're younger than I am. Also, I depend on the phonebook a lot...let my fingers do the walking often.

Patrick wrote:
When a student enters your school, I think they should have some input into what they are taught. I don't think they should be able to tell you exactly what you should teach them and exactly how you should teach it, just because they are paying you. You are the expert, and they are paying you for your expertise.

If they did that, what would you do? I imagine you'd tell them no, and they would leave. And if they found a teacher that did let them demand they teach them only what they wanted, exactly how they wanted, I bet that teacher wouldn't be a good teacher. They would only be in it for a quick buck. In other words, they would be a hack.

That is the equivalent of what you are saying here, when applied to the martial arts. You should have input, but you are paying a professional to make decisions. If you take that away from them, I have no doubt you can still find someone who will make you a website because, frankly, most people advertising website design aren't good. But if you do that, you'll more likely end up with a hack.

I respect what you're saying here.

Our Hombu lets the experts do their job; we value their experience. We do have our input and the like, as would anyone else that's paying for ones service. Our biggest problem is whenever the company we have hired brings us a draft, we'll sit there, looking it over, then many in the room will nitpick the newest draft to death until I'm ready to jump out of the nearest window. We're getting in our own way, and it's not productive. I've stated this more than I can remember in behind closed doors discussions, some more heated than others..."How dare we slap Dai-Soke in the face. He wanted this [website] completed in a timely manner, and we've not valued his wishes. If we're not going to honor him, then lets table this FOREVER" I wish the next Kaicho the best...good luck, he/she will need it!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get a website for my dojo if the P&L, Profit/Loss Statement, shows me that I can't do without a website. According to my accountant, my P&L shows me that I'm quite financially solvent without a website.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I will get a website for my dojo if the P&L, Profit/Loss Statement, shows me that I can't do without a website. According to my accountant, my P&L shows me that I'm quite financially solvent without a website.

I agree with this statement 100%. Your business P&L sheet should do your talking in terms of business decisions.

With that being said, I wouldn't be so quick to tell one of your student's the same thing.

Let's supposed you have a qualified student that is moving away and wants to open a school under your umbrella (we'll assume he/she follows all the bylaws of your org and qualifies).

He has "X" amount in start-up money and needs to hit 70 students in 60 days otherwise he'll have to work a second job.

Of course, he would need to do demos and have amazing classes, but a website with good lead capture forms and automailing would greatly assist in the process. Most people do not even have phone books anymore. Sad, but true.

Just some food for thought.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I agree with this statement 100%. Your business P&L sheet should do your talking in terms of business decisions.

With that being said, I wouldn't be so quick to tell one of your student's the same thing.

Let's supposed you have a qualified student that is moving away and wants to open a school under your umbrella (we'll assume he/she follows all the bylaws of your org and qualifies).

He has "X" amount in start-up money and needs to hit 70 students in 60 days otherwise he'll have to work a second job.

Of course, he would need to do demos and have amazing classes, but a website with good lead capture forms and automailing would greatly assist in the process. Most people do not even have phone books anymore. Sad, but true.

Just some food for thought.

Solid post!! Delicious food...indeed!

I would never tell a student of mine, directly or indirectly, that they should or shouldn't ever have a website; it's a personal/professional choice, one that I'm content with...for myself.

If a student of mine were to decide for themselves to have or not to have a website, and that I had influenced them one way or another, I'd remind them that while I appreciate their kind words, their decisions must be free of my influences.

What has worked for me, might not work for others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: