Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a question someone asked me. One simple reason for me. Hard focused strikes. Im also going to try to take up aikido. So for me I want to study shotokan to emerce myself in different style to understand each aspect of the martial arts. My opinion is no one art is better than the other.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal findings is that each art is just a differant place to start. In the end they will all take you to the same place. Each art has a bit of everything in it but its focus is on certin aspects.

As far as Shotkan I think it gives anyone an excellent base to branch off and do other things. Kata, Sparring, and SD are all tied into it about the same. As is the relation of punching, kicking and blocking.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan and Aikido make an excellent combination, covering the entire martial arts spectrum of strikes, counters, grapples, and sweeps. I recommed you start off with Shotokan before getting into Aikido, though.

Shoto Tiger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite satisfying to see. I have just posted in another part of the forum that I wanted to do Aikido at a later date and so far everyone seems to think its a good idea.

One thing I noticed when I went to another couple of classes this week - one in Aikido and another in Lau Gar Kung Fu - is that I was the only one doing hard strikes and kicks in the kata/forms they demonstrated. I was also shown Tai Chi and Hung Fat forms too. I didn't see all of them of course - but I wonder if they have similar strikes, etc in other forms. Does anyone know?

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most internal styles don't have hard strikes. You can't really tell what these styles are good for until you see a good fighter in action. You redirect your enemy's power and use their own momentum and balance against them. The results are utterly devastating in some cases, such as Xingyi.

Shoto Tiger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You redirect your enemy's power and use their own momentum and balance against them"

Is this not similar to Aikido too? Just checking

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite fancy Aikido too. I've known a few people try it after being very good competition judoka though and they found it a hard transition. I'd also like to learn Tai Chi and Wing Chun style of Kung Fu in time.

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 08:19, Shoto Tiger wrote:
"You redirect your enemy's power and use their own momentum and balance against them"

Is this not similar to Aikido too? Just checking

Yes, almost all internal arts, and many external as well, share this similarity. Any good fighter, regardless of style, will use his enemy's momentum, or lack thereof, against him.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought of starting Aikido. I'm doing shotokan and considerred those two are Ok and may cover many aspects. Nice to find out I'm not alone
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: